Trade, FDI and Congestion - the Small and very Open Economy
Typically, a small and open economy trades goods at given world prices. Here, we present a model of a very open small economy, where capital and labour are internationally mobile, too. When investing into infrastructure, the economy’s government attracts not only mobile capital but mobile labour, too. These capital and labour inflows into the economy reinforce each other. They contribute to rising welfare for land owning indigenous households. But all potential benefits for land renting immigrant households are capitalized into higher land rents. The paper is also an attempt to give an account of the recent economic boom in Ireland.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 1980. "A Note on the Measurement of Benefits of Public Inputs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 135-42, February.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 1985.
"Hedonic Prices and the Benefits of Public Projects,"
617, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1988. "Hedonic Prices and the Benefits of Public Projects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 981-89, July.
- J. Peter Neary, 1994.
"Factor mobility and international trade,"
199409, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Maurice J. Roche, 1999. "Irish House Prices - Will the Roof Cave In?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 30(4), pages 343-362.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- John FitzGerald, 1999. "Understanding Ireland's Economic Success," Papers WP111, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- John FitzGerald & Ide Kearney, 1999. "Migration and the Irish Labour Market," Papers WP113, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Maurice J. Roche, 1999. "Irish house prices: will the roof fall in?," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n890699, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Holger Görg & Frances Ruane, 1997. "Reflections on Irish Industrial Policy towards Foreign Direct Investment," Economics Policy Papers 973, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- John M. Hartwick, 1993. "Capitalization of Productivity Growth in Urban Land Rent," Working Papers 875, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Starrett, David A, 1981. "Land Value Capitalization in Local Public Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(2), pages 306-27, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.