Competition, Complementarity and Contagion in East Asia
This paper explores to what extent the magnitude and speed of the contagion effects that materialized in East Asia in the second half of 1997 may have had "real" underpinnings, in the sense that the pattern of production, consumption and trade increased the vulnerability of East Asian countries to external shocks. Two major possibilities are investigated using available disaggregated data on intra- and extra-regional trade and direct investment: that Asian economies compete extensively with each other on world markets; or, to the contrary that Asia is best regarded as an integrated economy with countries specializing in complementary production. The data provide greater support for the latter hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Lorenzo Giorgianni, 1997.
"Determinants of Korean Trade Flows and their Geographical Destination,"
IMF Working Papers
97/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Giorgianni, Lorenzo & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 1997. "Determinants of Korean Trade Flows and their Geographical Destination," CEPR Discussion Papers 1703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996.
"ASEAN in a regional perspective,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
96-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Shang-Jin Wei., 1996. "ASEAN in a Regional Perspective," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-074, University of California at Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996. "ASEAN in a Regional Perspective," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7g38z09z, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Noland, Marcus, 1997. "Has Asian export performance been unique?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 79-101, August.
- Jenny Corbett & David Vines, 1999. "Asian Currency and Financial Crises: Lessons from Vulnerability, Crisis and Collapse," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 155-177, 03.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Muscatelli, V. A. & Stevenson, A. A. & Montagna, C., 1994. "Intra-NIE competition in exports of manufactures," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 29-47, August.
- Anderson, Kym & Francois, Joseph, 1997. "Commercial Links Between Western Europe and East Asia: Retrospect and Prospects," CEPR Discussion Papers 1760, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McKibbin, Warwick & Marin, Will, 1999.
"The East Asian crisis : investigating causes and policy responses,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2172, The World Bank.
- Warwick J McKibbin & Will Martin, 1998. "The East Asian Crisis: Investigating Causes and Policy Responses," Departmental Working Papers 1998-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Li-Gang Liu & Marcus Noland & Sherman Robinson & Zhi Wang, 1998. "Asian Competitive Devaluations," Working Paper Series wp98-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Shujiro Urata, 1993. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment and Its Effect on Foreign Trade in Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Trade and Protectionism, NBER-EASE Volume 2, pages 273-304 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997. "Determinants of the Export Structure of Countries in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(3), pages 471-87, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.