The East Asian Crisis: Investigating Causes and Policy Responses
We use a forward looking modeling framework to capture some of the major interactions between asset markets and trade involved in the East Asian crisis and its aftermath. We take the primary cause of the crisis to be a fundamental reassessment of the profitability of investment in the region, and add secondary shocks resulting from the financial implications of responses to the initial shock. In this way, we can generate time profiles for the return of the countries of the region to economic health, and consider issues of contagion and policy response.
|Date of creation:||29 Sep 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Leonardo Leiderman, 1996.
"High real interest rates in the aftermath of disinflation: is it a lack of credibility?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
543, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1998. "High real interest rates in the aftermath of disinflation: is it a lack of credibility?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 191-214, February.
- Kaminsky, G.L. & Leiderman, L., 1996. "High Real Interest Rates in the Aftermath of Disinflation: Is It a Lack of Credibility," Papers 8-96, Tel Aviv.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Wilson, Charles A, 1979. "Anticipated Shocks and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 639-647, June.
- Falvey, Rodney E & Gemmell, Norman, 1991. "Explaining Service-Price Differences in International Comparisons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1295-1309, December.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1980.
"Inflation and the Stock Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 839-847, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey Sachs, 1998. "The Onset of the East Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Young, Alwyn, 1994. "Lessons from the East Asian NICS: A contrarian view," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 964-973, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:1998-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.