Robust International Portfolio Management
We present an international portfolio optimization model where we take into account the two different sources of return of an international asset: the local returns denominated in the local currency, and the returns on the foreign exchange rates. The explicit consideration of the returns on exchange rates introduces non-linearities in the model, both in the objective function (return maximization) and in the triangulation requirement of the foreign exchange rates. The uncertainty associated with both types of returns is incorporated directly in the model by the use of robust optimization techniques. We show that, by using appropriate assumptions regarding the formulation of the uncertainty sets, the proposed model has a semidefinite programming formulation and can be solved efficiently. While robust optimization provides a guaranteed minimum return inside the uncertainty set considered, we also discuss an extension of our formulation with additional guarantees through trading in quanto options for the foreign assets and in equity options for the domestic assets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel J. Fonseca & Steve Zymler & Wolfram Wiesemann & Berc Rustem, 2009. "Robust Optimization of Currency Portfolios," Working Papers 012, COMISEF.
- T. S. Ho & Richard C. Stapleton & Marti G. Subrahmanyam, 1995. "Correlation risk, cross-market derivative products and portfolio performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(2), pages 105-124.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008. "A dynamic stochastic programming model for international portfolio management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1501-1524, March.
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-1886, December.
- Steil, Benn, 1993. "Currency Options and the Optimal Hedging of Contingent Foreign Exchange Exposure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(240), pages 413-431, November.
- Zymler, Steve & Rustem, Berç & Kuhn, Daniel, 2011. "Robust portfolio optimization with derivative insurance guarantees," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 410-424, April.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-675, September.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1988. " Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Forward Contracts, and International Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 197-215, March.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Rustem, Berc, 1995. "Computing optimal multi-currency mean-variance portfolios," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-7), pages 901-908.
- Glen A. Larsen, Jr. & Bruce G. Resnick, 2000. "The Optimal Construction of Internationally Diversified Equity Portfolios Hedged Against Exchange Rate Uncertainty," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(4), pages 479-514.
- Shawky, Hany A. & Kuenzel, Rolf & Mikhail, Azmi D., 1997. "International portfolio diversification: a synthesis and an update," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 303-327, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:com:wpaper:029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.