Robust Optimization of Currency Portfolios
We study a currency investment strategy, where we maximize the return on a portfolio of foreign currencies relative to any appreciation of the corresponding foreign exchange rates. Given the uncertainty in the estimation of the future currency values, we employ robust optimization techniques to maximize the return on the portfolio for the worst-case foreign exchange rate scenario. Currency portfolios differ from stock only portfolios in that a triangular relationship exists among foreign exchange rates to avoid arbitrage. Although the inclusion of such a constraint in the model would lead to a nonconvex problem, we show that by choosing appropriate uncertainty sets for the exchange and the cross exchange rates, we obtain a convex model that can be solved efficiently. Alongside robust optimization, an additional guarantee is explored by investing in currency options to cover the eventuality that foreign exchange rates materialize outside the specified uncertainty sets. We present numerical results that show the relationship between the size of the uncertainty sets and the distribution of the investment among currencies and options, and the overall performance of the model in a series of backtesting experiments.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2002. "CVaR models with selective hedging for international asset allocation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1535-1561, July.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1978. "Exchange Rate Risk and the Optimal Diversification of Foreign Currency Holdings," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 10(4), pages 453-63, November.
- Shawky, Hany A. & Kuenzel, Rolf & Mikhail, Azmi D., 1997. "International portfolio diversification: a synthesis and an update," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 303-327, December.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008. "A dynamic stochastic programming model for international portfolio management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1501-1524, March.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1988. " Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Forward Contracts, and International Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 197-215, March.
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-86, December.
- Steil, Benn, 1993. "Currency Options and the Optimal Hedging of Contingent Foreign Exchange Exposure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(240), pages 413-31, November.
- Glen A. Larsen, Jr. & Bruce G. Resnick, 2000. "The Optimal Construction of Internationally Diversified Equity Portfolios Hedged Against Exchange Rate Uncertainty," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(4), pages 479-514.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:com:wpaper:012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.