Can national survey data be used to select a core set of indicators for monitoring the sustainability of urban mobility policies?
The gradual expansion of urban transport systems brings a series of undesirable socio-economic and environmental impacts that affect the quality of life in cities. Assessing the performance of transport policies is therefore crucial for attaining a sustainable urban development. Adopting an integrated expert-led and participatory- based "bottom-up" approach this paper deals with the issue by examining the feasibility of using citizens' opinions to select a core set of indicators for monitoring the sustainability of urban mobility policies. A national survey has been carried out to gather citizens' perceptions over a basic conceptual framework of dimensions and objectives of urban mobility policies in order to provide a ranking of the associated performance indicators. The results showed that different sets of performance indicators may be chosen according to city size and transport modes mostly used by citizens.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Booth, Chris & Richardson, Tim, 2001. "Placing the public in integrated transport planning," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 141-149, April.
- Jean-Pierre Nicolas & Pascal Pochet & Hélène Poimboeuf, 2003. "Towards Sustainable Mobility Indicators: Application to the Lyons Conurbation," Post-Print halshs-00068232, HAL.
- Nicolas, J. -P. & Pochet, P. & Poimboeuf, H., 2003. "Towards sustainable mobility indicators: application to the Lyons conurbation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 197-208, July.
- Reed, Mark S. & Fraser, Evan D.G. & Dougill, Andrew J., 2006. "An adaptive learning process for developing and applying sustainability indicators with local communities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 406-418, October.
- Vatn, Arild, 2009. "An institutional analysis of methods for environmental appraisal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2207-2215, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cns:cnscwp:200911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.