Clustering Heteroskedastic Time Series by Model-Based Procedures
Financial time series are often characterized by similar volatility structures, often represented by GARCH processes. The detection of clusters of series displaying similar behavior could be important to understand the differences in the estimated processes, without having to study and compare the estimated parameters across all the series. This is particularly relevant dealing with many series, as in ?nancial applications. The volatility of a time series can be characterized in terms of the underlying GARCH process. Using Wald tests and the AR metrics to measure the distance between GARCH processes, it is possible to develop a clustering algorithm, which can provide three classi?cations (with increasing degree of deepness) based on the heteroskedastic patterns of the time series. The number of clusters is detected automatically and it is not ?xed a priori or a posteriori. The procedure is evaluated by simulations and applied to the sector indexes of the Italian market.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements," NBER Working Papers 7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Maharaj, E.A., 1994. "A Significance Test for Classifying ARMA Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/94, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Giampiero M. Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2007.
"Volatility transmission across markets: a Multichain Markov Switching model,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 659-670.
- Giampiero Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2006. "Volatility Transmission Across Markets: A Multi-Chain Markov Switching Model," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_04, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Monica Billio & Massimiliano Caporin & Michele Gobbo, 2006. "Flexible Dynamic Conditional Correlation multivariate GARCH models for asset allocation," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 123-130, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Edoardo Otranto, 2004. "Classifying the Markets Volatility with ARMA Distance Measures," Econometrics 0402009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 2004.
- Tim Chenoweth & Robert Hubata & Robert D. St. Louis, 2004. "The power of tests for equivalent ARMA models: The implications for practitioners," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 281-292, 05.
- Corduas, Marcella & Piccolo, Domenico, 2008. "Time series clustering and classification by the autoregressive metric," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1860-1872, January.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Dalla Valle, L. & Giudici, P., 2008. "A Bayesian approach to estimate the marginal loss distributions in operational risk management," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3107-3127, February.
- Pattarin, Francesco & Paterlini, Sandra & Minerva, Tommaso, 2004. "Clustering financial time series: an application to mutual funds style analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 353-372, September.
- Giampiero Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2007.
"Volatility Spillovers, Interdependence and Comovements: A Markov Switching Approach,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2007_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Gallo, Giampiero M. & Otranto, Edoardo, 2008. "Volatility spillovers, interdependence and comovements: A Markov Switching approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3011-3026, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Steece, Bert & Wood, Steven, 1985. "A Test for the Equivalence of k ARMA Models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-11.
- Brooks, Chris & Burke, Simon P. & Persand, Gita, 2001. "Benchmarks and the accuracy of GARCH model estimation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 45-56.
- Edoardo Otrano & Umberto Triacca, 2007. "Testing for Equal Predictability of Stationary ARMA Processes," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1091-1108.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cns:cnscwp:200801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.