Liquidity Crises and Corporate Cash Holdings in Chile
This paper addresses the way optimal cash holdings decisions may be affected in episodes of adverse liquidity shocks. Motivated by the recent financial crisis, we are particularly interested in understanding how firm characteristics can explain differences in the adjustment speed to desired cash holdings, and how these characteristics determine whether a firm is more or less affected during a liquidity crisis. To address those issues, we use a large panel dataset with quarterly information of Chilean firms during the period 1996 through 2009. In line with some previous empirical evidence, our findings show that leverage, banking debt, liquid assets, size and volatility affect cash holdings. We also find that liquidity crises have had an overall negative and economically significant effect on the firms’ cash holdings and this effect varies across firm size. In addition, our results reveal other important component of heterogeneity across firms: we find that medium-sized firms are less capable of adjusting cash holdings than do small and large firms.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Michael J. Barclay & Clifford W. Smith, 1996. "On Financial Architecture: Leverage, Maturity, And Priority," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(4), pages 4-17.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2004. "Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2103-2134, September.
- Arslan, Ozgur & Florackis, Chrisostomos & Ozkan, Aydin, 2006.
"The role of cash holdings in reducing investment-cash flow sensitivity: Evidence from a financial crisis period in an emerging market,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 320-338, December.
- Ozgur Arslan & Chrisostomos Florackis & Aydin Ozkan, 2006. "The Role of Cash Holdings in Reducing Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity: Evidence from a Financial Crisis Period in an Emerging Market," Discussion Papers 06/08, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Christopher F. Baum & Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004.
"The Effects of Uncertainty on the Leverage of Non-Financial Firms,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
602, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 27 Jul 2007.
- Christopher F. Baum & Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2009. "The Effects Of Uncertainty On The Leverage Of Nonfinancial Firms," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 47(2), pages 216-225, 04.
- Opler, Tim & Pinkowitz, Lee & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 1999.
"The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-46, April.
- Tim Opler & Lee Pinkowitz & Rene Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 1997. "The Determinants and Implications of Corporate Cash Holdings," NBER Working Papers 6234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J. & Levine, David I., 2008. "Financial constraints on investment in an emerging market crisis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 568-591, April.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2002. "Corporate Demand for Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 9253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty & Boyan Liu, 2010.
"The impact of macroeconomic uncertainty on firms' changes in financial leverage,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 22-30.
- Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty & Boyan Liu, 2008. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Firms' Changes in Financial Leverage," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 688, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(1), pages 135-158, 02.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- A. Bruinshoofd & C.J.M. Kool, 2004.
"Dutch Corporate Liquidity Management: New Evidence on Aggregation,"
04-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- W. Allard Bruinshoofd & Clemens J. M. Kool, 2004. "Dutch corporate liquidity mangement: New evidence on aggregation," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 195-230, November.
- W.A. Bruinshoofd & C.J.M. Kool, 2004. "Dutch corporate liquidity management: new evidence on aggregation," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 756, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
- Kim, Chang-Soo & Mauer, David C. & Sherman, Ann E., 1998. "The Determinants of Corporate Liquidity: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 335-359, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.