Competencia y Toma de Riesgo en el Mercado de Créditos de Consumo Bancario Chileno (1997-2009)
The purpose of this paper is to estimate a new index of competition for the banking industry—the Boone indicator—which allows evaluating the level of competition in specific segments of credit, in our case, consumer credit. Additionally, it is intended to determine whether the evolution of this indicator has been associated to a higher degree of risk taking. A novelty of our approach is to consider loan loss provisions as part of the total cost function for bank credit generation. The evolution of the Boone indicator shows a low level of competition between 2003 and 2005. In 2006, competition increased strongly, recovering levels statistically similar to those in the beginning of the period of analysis. This might originate in the development of those banks associated to the retail sector and consumer units of traditional banks, as well as in a process of more aggressive incursion of banks in lower-income customer segments (known as “bancarización”). The relationship between credit risk and competition in this segment of credit is not stable in time. Estimations show that, in the period of the highest increase in competition, the relationship between the Boone indicator and the non-performing loans index is negative and statistically different from zero, which indicates that the rise in competition was indeed associated to higher risk taking.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N, et al, 2004. "Bank Concentration and Competition: An Evolution in the Making," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 433-451, June.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok Sørensen, 2011. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3155-3167.
- Leuvensteijn, Michiel van & Bikker, Jacob A. & Rixtel, Adrian A.R.J.M. van & Kok-Sørensen, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," DNB Working Papers 143, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sørensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Papers 0736, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Van Rixtel, Adrian & Kok, Christoffer & van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Bikker, Jacob A., 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Paper Series 768, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel & C. Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the Euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Adolfo Barajas & Leonardo Luna & Jorge Restrepo, 2007. "Macroeconomic Fluctuations and Bank Behavior in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 436, Central Bank of Chile. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:562. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.