Monetarism Beyond M1A
This work analyzes, from an empirical standpoint, the information contained in the M1A aggregate in Chile and compares it with other aggregates. The findings reveal that, at least for now, the M1A aggregate does not seem to have particularly valuable information that would make it a better indicator of inflationary pressures within the monetary policy decision horizon. This is consistent with the practice that central banks followed in the past, when they used quantitative targets for money and focused their analyses on broader aggregates. One possible explanation for the excessive importance given in Chile to the monetary aggregate M1A is the history of financial repression that the country lived until the mid-seventies.
|Date of creation:||May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Gerlach & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2000.
"Money and Inflation in the Euro Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?,"
NBER Working Papers
8025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E. O., 2003. "Money and inflation in the euro area: A case for monetary indicators?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1649-1672, November.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E O, 2002. "Money and Inflation in the Euro-Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson & Stefan Gerlach, 2001. "Money and inflation in the Euro Area: A case for monetary indicators?," BIS Working Papers 98, Bank for International Settlements.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Polan, Magdalena, 2001. "Is Inflation Always and Everywhere a Monetary Phenomenon?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2841, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003.
"The future of monetary aggregates in monetary policy analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1029-1059, July.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003. "The Future of Monetary Aggregates in Monetary Policy Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3897, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Lippi & Stefano Neri, 2004.
"Information variables for monetary policy in a small structural model of the euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
511, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Lippi, Francesco & Neri, Stefano, 2003. "Information Variables for Monetary Policy in a Small Structural Model of the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 4125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Se Kyu Choi-Ha & Luis Felipe Lagos, 2003. "El Dinero como Indicador Líder," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(120), pages 259-283.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996.
"Is There a Role for Monetary Aggregates in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Estrella, Arturo & Mishkin, Frederic S., 1997. "Is there a role for monetary aggregates in the conduct of monetary policy?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-304, October.
- Eric M. Leeper & Jennifer E. Roush, 2003.
"Putting "M" back in monetary policy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
761, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003.
"Does the stock of money have any causal significance?,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 113-136.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003. "Does the stock of money have any causal significance?," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 113-136.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2002. "Does The Stock of Money Have Any Causal Significance," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_363, Levy Economics Institute.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Matías Tapia, 2002. "Monetary Policy Implementation and Results in Twenty Inflation-Targeting Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 166, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2001.
"Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
8115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2000. "Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 458, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Ireland, 2000. "Matlab code for Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle," QM&RBC Codes 47, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2001.
"Monetary policy analysis in models without money,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 145-164.
- Hallman, Jeffrey J & Porter, Richard D & Small, David H, 1991. "Is the Price Level Tied to the M2 Monetary Aggregate in the Long Run?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 841-58, September.
- Jose De Gregorio, 2003. "Dinero e Inflación: ¿En Qué Estamos?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 201, Central Bank of Chile.
- Rodrigo Valdés, 1998. "Efectos de la Política Monetaria en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 35(104), pages 97-125.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.