Chile’s Trade Policy: an Assessment
This paper reviews some of the main findings of recent research on the politics, economics and political economy of regional integration, and assesses Chile's trade and regional integration policies. It concludes that i) Chile is likely to obtain static and dynamic benefits from a FTA with the US, though the benefits depend crucially on the extent to which its market access to the US improves, and on the cost of implementing the intellectual property rights agreement and on the cost of the rules of origin; ii) benefits are more doubtful with respect to FTAs with MERCOSUR and Andean Pact and Central American countries; iii) Chile is negotiating with the EU and should start negotiating FTAs with Asian countries; iv) it should bind all its tariffs at the WTO at the applied MFN uniform tariff rate; and v) the uniform MFN tariff should be reduced below 6% after 2003.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hufbauer, Gary Clyde & Kotschwar, Barbara & Wilson,John S., 2001. "Trade policy, standards, and development in Central America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2576, The World Bank.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "A race to the top? A case study of food safety standards and African exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2563, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Primo Braga, Carlos A., 1997.
"Protection and trade in services : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1747, The World Bank.
- Ben-David, Dan, 1993. "Equalizing Exchange: Trade Liberalization and Income Convergence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 653-79, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.