Exchange rate pass-through, monetary policy, and variability of exchange rates
We document that contribution of identified US monetary shock to exchange rate variability differs across currencies and is inversely related to the degree of a country’s US dollar exchange rate pass-through into import prices. We explore this empirical pattern under the assumption that each central bank, when choosing its monetary policy, takes into account in which currency its country’s exports and imports are denominated. The choice of imports invoicing currency will affect both the degree of exchange rate pass-through and the monetary policy response. Different shape of monetary policy reaction function will result in different contribution of monetary shocks to the exchange rate dynamics. We illustrate this mechanism using a simple general equilibrium model.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 117418 Russia, Moscow, Nakhimovsky pr., 47, office 720|
Phone: +7 (495) 105 50 02
Fax: +7 (495) 105 50 03
Web page: http://www.cefir.ru
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004.
"The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation,"
14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr Eliasz, 2005. "Measuring the Effects of Monetary Policy: A Factor-Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(1), pages 387-422.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2010.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 304-36, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfr:cefirw:w0178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia Babich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.