Auction Platform Design and the Linkage Principle
This paper examines an auction platform in which the platform provider maximizes profits by adjusting participation fees and by choosing an auction format. The seller has private information on the quality of the good, and each participating buyer receives a private signal about his valuation of the good. The choice of auction format determines the allocation of trading surplus among participating seller and buyers. This paper shows that when the sellerâ€™s type is affiliated with buyersâ€™ signals, the platform provider can charge higher participation fees to both sides by choosing a first-price auction rather than a second-price or English auction. It also examines the effect of allowing participating buyers to acquire information on the sellerâ€™s type and shows that the provider can charge higher participation fees under a non-transparency policy.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Matros & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2010.
"Optimal Mechanisms for an Auction Mediator,"
670, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Alexander Matros & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2006. "Optimal Mechanisms for an Auction Mediator," Discussion Paper Series dp424, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Alexander Matros & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2006. "Optimal Mechanisms for an Auction Mediator," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000113, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marc Rysman, 2009. "The Economics of Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 125-43, Summer.
- Jullien, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas, 2002.
"Auction and the Informed Seller Problem,"
IDEI Working Papers
145, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Oct 2004.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2006.
"Two-Sided Markets : A Progress Report,"
- Kevin Hasker & Robin Sickles, 2010. "eBay in the Economic Literature: Analysis of an Auction Marketplace," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 37(1), pages 3-42, August.
- Patrick Bajari & Ali Hortaçsu, 2004. "Economic Insights from Internet Auctions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 457-486, June.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Pesendorfer, Martin, 2001.
"Information Structures in Optimal Auctions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2991, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephan Lauermann & Gábor Virág, 2012. "Auctions in Markets: Common Outside Options and the Continuation Value Effect," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 107-130, November.
- Cristián Troncoso Valverde, 2011. "Information Provision in Competing Auctions," Working Papers 25, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Alexandre Gaudeul & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"E-commerce, two-sided markets and info-mediation,"
0503014, EconWPA, revised 05 Apr 2005.
- Péter Eső & Balázs Szentes, 2007. "Optimal Information Disclosure in Auctions and the Handicap Auction," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 705-731.
- Axel Ockenfels & David Reiley & Abdolkarim Sadrieh, 2006. "Online Auctions," NBER Working Papers 12785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alex Gershkov, 2009. "Optimal auctions and information disclosure," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 13(4), pages 335-344, December.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:668-691 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.