Bankâ€™s regulation, asset portfolio choice of banks, and macroeconomic dynamics
Since the middle of 1990s, the Japanese banks have continuously tilted their asset portfolio towards the government bonds, reducing their lending to Â…rms. In this paper, we investigate the causes and consequences of such changes in the banks behaviors, by introducing the bankâ€™s asset portfolio decision into an otherwise standard New Keynesian model. The banks in our model construct their portfolio under the value at risk constraint, that requires banks repay their debt regardless of the realization of the asset returns. Under the constraint, an increase in down-side risks, tightening of capital requirement rules or deterioration of the banks net worth reduce the banksÂ’ risk taking capacity, and incurs a shrinkage of the bankâ€™s balance sheet and asset rebalancing towards government bond. The changes in banksÂ’ investment decisions dampen output and inflation. Empirical studies suggest that our theoretical predictions are consistent with behavior of the Japanese banks.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael B & Sutherland, Alan, 2007.
"Country Portfolio Dynamics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6208, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Takuji Fueki & Ichiro Fukunaga & Hibiki Ichiue & Toyoichiro Shirota, 2010. "Measuring Potential Growth with an Estimated DSGE Model of Japan's Economy," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 10-E-13, Bank of Japan.
- Keisuke Otsu, 2009.
"Accounting for Japanese Business Cycles: a Quest for Labor Wedges,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
09-E-28, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Keisuke Otsu, 2011. "Accounting for Japanese Business Cycles: A Quest for Labor Wedges," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 29, pages 143-170, November.
- Keisuke Otsu, 2011. "Accounting for Japanese Business Cycles: A Quest for Labor Wedges," Studies in Economics 1106, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Takero Doi & Takeo Hoshi & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto, 2011.
"Japanese Government Debt and Sustainability of Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
17305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Doi, Takero & Hoshi, Takeo & Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2011. "Japanese government debt and sustainability of fiscal policy," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 414-433.
- Hirose, Yasuo & Kurozumi, Takushi, 2011.
"Do investment-specific technological changes matter for business fluctuations? Evidence from Japan,"
32944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yasuo Hirose & Takushi Kurozumi, 2012. "Do Investment-Specific Technological Changes Matter For Business Fluctuations? Evidence From Japan," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 208-230, 05.
- Yasuo Hirose & Takushi Kurozumi, 2010. "Do Investment-Specific Technological Changes Matter for Business Fluctuations? Evidence from Japan," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 10-E-4, Bank of Japan.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2008.
"Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models,"
NBER Working Papers
14372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2008. "Country portfolios in open economy macro models," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 09, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006.
"Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
12129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2008. "Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1943-77, December.
- Nao Sudo, 2011. "Accounting for the Decline in the Velocity of Money in the Japanese Economy," IMES Discussion Paper Series 11-E-16, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Paolo Surico, 2011. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money: Breakdowns and Revivals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(1), pages 109-28, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf323. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.