Optimal Multiunit Exchange Design with Single-Dimensionality
We investigate allocation problems that generalize auction and bargaining, namely multiunit exchanges, where both a central planner and participants bring homogeneous commodities to sell altogether, and there exist restrictions on feasible allocations. We characterize the optimal mechanism in terms of revenue-maximization under dominant strategy incentive compatibility and ex-post individual rationality. We introduce modified virtual valuation, and show that, irrespective of the restrictions, the optimization can be replaced with the maximization of the sum of modified virtual valuations. We apply this result to an important class of allocation problems for heterogeneous items with single-item demands based on Mussa and Rosen (1978).
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2011.
"Position Auctions with Consumer Search,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(3), pages 1213-1270.
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2007. "Position Auctions with Consumer Search," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001633, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2009. "Position Auctions with Consumer Search," NBER Working Papers 15253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Branco, 1996. "Multiple unit auctions of an indivisible good," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 8(1), pages 77-101.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004. "Putting Auction Theory to Work," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521536721, August.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004. "Putting Auction Theory to Work," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521551847, August.
- Hitoshi Matsushima, 2011. "Efficient Combinatorial Exchanges with Opt-Out Types," CARF F-Series CARF-F-294, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo, revised Aug 2012.
- Alex Gershkov & Benny Moldovanu, 2009. "Dynamic Revenue Maximization with Heterogeneous Objects: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 168-198, August.
- Levent Ülkü, 2013. "Optimal combinatorial mechanism design," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 53(2), pages 473-498, June.
- Levent Ulku, 2009. "Optimal Combinatorial Mechanism Design," Working Papers 0903, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2002. "Optimal auctions in a general model of identical goods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-79, February.
- Monteiro, P. K., 1999. "Optimal auctions in a general model of identical goods," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 358, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983. "Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- Roger B. Myerson & Mark A. Satterthwaite, 1981. "Efficient Mechanisms for Bilateral Trading," Discussion Papers 469S, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob K. Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2013. "On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(1), pages 197-220, 01.
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2012. "On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation," Working Papers tecipa-445, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Varian, Hal R., 2007. "Position auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1163-1178, December.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)