Optimal Multiunit Exchange Design with Single-Dimensionality
We investigate allocation problems that generalize auction and bargaining, namely multiunit exchanges, where both a central planner and participants bring homogeneous commodities to sell altogether, and there exist restrictions on feasible allocations. We characterize the optimal mechanism in terms of revenue-maximization under dominant strategy incentive compatibility and ex-post individual rationality. We introduce modified virtual valuation, and show that, irrespective of the restrictions, the optimization can be replaced with the maximization of the sum of modified virtual valuations. We apply this result to an important class of allocation problems for heterogeneous items with single-item demands based on Mussa and Rosen (1978).
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levent Ulku, 2009.
"Optimal Combinatorial Mechanism Design,"
0903, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 1999.
"Optimal Auctions in a General Model of Identical Goods,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
358, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2002. "Optimal auctions in a general model of identical goods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-79, February.
- Alex Gershkov & Benny Moldovanu, 2009. "Dynamic Revenue Maximization with Heterogeneous Objects: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 168-98, August.
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983.
"Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521536721 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2012.
"On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation,"
tecipa-445, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob K. Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2013. "On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(1), pages 197-220, 01.
- Varian, Hal R., 2007. "Position auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1163-1178, December.
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2007.
"Position Auctions with Consumer Search,"
122247000000001633, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hitoshi Matsushima, 2011. "Efficient Combinatorial Exchanges with Opt-Out Types," CARF F-Series CARF-F-294, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo, revised Aug 2012.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521551847 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fernando Branco, 1996. "Multiple unit auctions of an indivisible good," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 77-101.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.