A Fragile Pillar: Statutory Pensions and the Risk of Old-age Poverty in Germany
The statutory pension system is still the most important income source among seniorcitizens in Germany. Due to increasing disruptions in employment biographies since the1970s and due to the mass unemployment in Eastern Germany since the 1990s, there isa growing fear of post-retirement poverty in Germany. We develop a micro-simulationmodel to compare the distribution of statutory pension incomes for new retirees in 2020with those in 2004. The pension income distribution is calculated for Eastern andWestern Germany separately, for men and women, and for different skill levels.Throughout Germany, we find a growing post-retirement poverty, especially for lowskilledworkers. Eastern Germany will lose its current advantage in terms of highpensions and low inequality.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, Holger, 2009. "15 Years of Pension Reform in Germany: Old Successes and New Threats," IZA Policy Papers 11, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefan Krenz & Wolfgang Nagl & Joachim Ragnitz, 2009. "Is There a Growing Risk of Old-Age Poverty in East Germany?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 60(Supplemen), pages 35-54.
- Friedrich Breyer & Stefan Hupfeld, 2008.
"Fairness of Public Pensions and Old-Age Poverty,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
817, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Holger Bonin, 2009. "15 Years of Pension Reform in Germany: Old Successes and New Threats," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 34(4), pages 548-560, October.
- Bonin, Holger, 2009. "15 years of pension reform in Germany: old successes and new threats," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-035, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel & Bucher-Koenen, Tabea & Reil-Held, Anette & Wilke, Christina, 2008. "Zum künftigen Stellenwert der ersten Säule im Gesamtsystem der Alterssicherung," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 08-45, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Michael Berlemann & Marcel Thum, 2005. "Blooming landscapes in East Germany?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(4), pages 16-22, December.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel & Bucher-Koenen, Tabea & Reil-Held, Anette & Wilke, Christina Benita, 2008. "Zum künftigen Stellenwert der ersten Säule im Gesamtsystem der Alterssicherung," Papers 08-45, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.