Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts
We consider lifetime health insurance contracts in which ageing provisions are used tosmooth the premium profile. The capital stock accumulated for each individual can bedecomposed into two parts: a premium insurance and an annuitised life insurance, onlythe latter being transferable between insurers without triggering premium changesthrough risk segmentation. In a simulation based on German data, the transferable sharedeclines in age and falls with an increasing age of entry into the contract. In spite ofdifferent benefit profiles, it is almost identical for women and men.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frick, Kevin D, 1998. "Consumer Capital Market Constraints and Guaranteed Renewable Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 271-78, July-Aug..
- Volker Meier, 2003.
"Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Volker Meier, 2005. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 249-275, 05.
- Meier, Volker, 2005. "Efficient transfer of aging provisions in private health insurance," Munich Reprints in Economics 19184, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bradley Herring & Mark Pauly, 2003. "Incentive-Compatible Guaranteed Renewable Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kifmann, Mathias, 2002. "Insuring Premium Risk in Competitive Health Insurance Markets," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 15, number urn:isbn:9783161477409, May.
- Cochrane, John H, 1995. "Time-Consistent Health Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 445-73, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.