Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts
We consider lifetime health insurance contracts in which ageing provisions are used to smooth the premium profile. The stock of capital accumulated for each individual can be split into two parts: a premium insurance and an annuitised life insurance, where the latter would be transferable between insurers without triggering premium changes through risk segmentation. In a simulation based on German data, the transferable share declines in age. It is smaller for women than for men, and it falls with an increasing age of entry into the contract.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kifmann, Mathias, 2002. "Insuring Premium Risk in Competitive Health Insurance Markets," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 15, number urn:isbn:9783161477409.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2003.
"The Role Of Commitment In Dynamic Contracts: Evidence From Life Insurance,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 299-327, February.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2000. "The Role of Commitment in Dynamic Contracts: Evidence from Life Insurance," NBER Working Papers 7470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frick, Kevin D, 1998. "Consumer Capital Market Constraints and Guaranteed Renewable Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 271-78, July-Aug..
- Meier, Volker, 2005.
"Efficient transfer of aging provisions in private health insurance,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19184, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Volker Meier, 2005. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 249-275, 05.
- Volker Meier, 2003. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," CESifo Working Paper Series 862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bradley Herring & Mark Pauly, 2003. "Incentive-Compatible Guaranteed Renewable Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John H, 1995. "Time-Consistent Health Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 445-73, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.