Transferable ageing provisions in individual health insurance contracts
We consider lifetime health insurance contracts in which ageing provisions are used to smooth the premium profile. The capital stock accumulated for each individual can be decomposed into two parts: a premium insurance and an annuitized life insurance, only the latter being transferable between insurers without triggering premium changes through risk segmentation. In a simulation based on German data, the transferable share declines in age and falls with an increasing age of entry into the contract. In spite of different benefit profiles, it is almost identical for women and men.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Publication status:||Published in German Economic Review 3 9(2008): pp. 287-311|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstr. 28, 80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kifmann, Mathias, 2002. "Insuring Premium Risk in Competitive Health Insurance Markets," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 15, number urn:isbn:9783161477409.
- Frick, Kevin D, 1998. "Consumer Capital Market Constraints and Guaranteed Renewable Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 271-278, July-Aug..
- Cochrane, John H, 1995. "Time-Consistent Health Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 445-473, June.
- Meier, Volker, 2005.
"Efficient transfer of aging provisions in private health insurance,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19184, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Volker Meier, 2005. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 249-275, 05.
- Volker Meier, 2003. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," CESifo Working Paper Series 862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bradley Herring & Mark Pauly, 2003. "Incentive-Compatible Guaranteed Renewable Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lmu:muenar:20150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.