The Future of Eurozone Fiscal Governance
This paper discusses various options for reforming fiscal governance in the Eurozone. We focus on two possible reform approaches referred to as the â€˜Maastricht modelâ€™ and the â€˜US modelâ€™. The Maastricht model implies that ultimate responsibility for economic and fiscal policy remains at the national level. The US model, by contrast, calls for the development of much stronger European institutions. In both cases some degree of policy coordination, a European Banking Union and insolvency procedures for sovereigns are indispensable. We discuss the challenges and trade-offs involved and argue that certain elements of the two approaches which combine increased risk sharing with increased market discipline and risk reduction could be combined to achieve a more resilient and economically successful Eurozone.
|Date of creation:||2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(s1), pages 199-215, September.
- Olivier J Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010. "Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/03, International Monetary Fund.
- Clemens Fuest & Andreas Peichl, 2012. "European Fiscal Union: What Is It? Does It work? And Are There Really 'No Alternatives'?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(1), pages 03-09, April.
- Fuest, Clemens & Peichl, Andreas, 2012. "European Fiscal Union: What Is It? Does It Work? And Are There Really 'No Alternatives'?," IZA Policy Papers 39, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wickens, Michael R., 2016. "Is there an alternative way to avoid another eurozone crisis to the Five Presidents' Report?," CEPR Discussion Papers 11225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenen,Peter B., 1995. "Economic and Monetary Union in Europe," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521558839.
- Wickens, Michael, 2016. "Is there an alternative way to avoid another eurozone crisis to the Five Presidents' Report?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(PB), pages 156-165.
- Luc Eyraud & Vitor Gaspar & Tigran Poghosyan, 2017. "Fiscal Politics in the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 17/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Agnieszka Markiewicz, 2013. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 449-488, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Agnieszka Markiewicz & Lars Jonung, 2011. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History," NBER Working Papers 17380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karsten Wendorff & Alexander Mahle, 2015. "Staatsanleihen neu ausgestalten – für eine stabilitätsorientierte Währungsunion," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 95(9), pages 604-608, September.
- Feld, Lars P. & Fuest, Clemens & Haucap, Justus & Schweitzer, Heike & Wieland, Volker & Wigger, Berthold U., 2016. "Dismantling the boundaries of the ECB's monetary policy mandate: The CJEU's OMT judgement and its consequences," Kronberger Kreis-Studien 61e, Stiftung Marktwirtschaft / The Market Economy Foundation, Berlin.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Xavier Ragot & Guntram B. Wolff, 2016. "Which fiscal union for the euro area?," Policy Contributions 12893, Bruegel.
- Asatryan, Zareh & Debrun, Xavier & Heinemann, Friedrich & Horvath, Michal & Ódor, Ľudovít & Yeter, Mustafa, 2017. "Making the most of the European Fiscal Board," ZEW policy briefs 3/2017, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ashoka Mody, 2013. "A Schuman compact for the euro area," Essays and Lectures 802, Bruegel. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:econpr:_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.