Ex Post Information Rents in Sequential Screening
We study ex post information rents in sequential screening models where the agent receives private ex ante and ex post information. The principal has to pay ex post information rents for preventing the agent to coordinate lies about his ex ante and ex post information. When the agent’s ex ante information is discrete, these rents are positive, whereas they are zero in continuous models. Consequently, full disclosure of ex post information is generally suboptimal. Optimal disclosure rules trade off the benefits from adapting the allocation to better information against the effect that more information aggravates truth-telling.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin, 2008.
"Advance-Purchase Discounts as a Price Discrimination Device,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6664, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin & Rosar, Frank, 2011. "Advance-purchase discounts as a price discrimination device," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 141-162, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1984.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
590, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Baron, David P & Myerson, Roger B, 1982.
"Regulating a Monopolist with Unknown Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 911-30, July.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 1985.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
368, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Wambach, Achim, 2015.
"Sequential information disclosure in auctions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 159(PB), pages 1074-1095.
- Dirk Bergemann & Achim Wambach, 2013. "Sequential Information Disclosure in Auctions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1900, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dirk Bergemann & Achim Wambach, 2013. "Sequential Information Disclosure in Auctions," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000771, David K. Levine.
- Dirk Bergemann & Achim Wambach, 2013. "Sequential Information Disclosure in Auctions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1900R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 2014.
- Baron, David P. & Besanko, David, 1984. "Regulation and information in a continuing relationship," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 267-302.
- Raphael Boleslavsky & Maher Said, 2013.
"Progressive Screening: Long-Term Contracting with a Privately Known Stochastic Process,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 80(1), pages 1-34.
- Ralph Boleslavsky & Maher Said, 2011. "Progressive Screening: Long-Term Contracting with a Privately Known Stochastic Process," Working Papers 2011-5, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Alessandro Pavan & Ilya Segal & Juuso Toikka, 2014. "Dynamic Mechanism Design: A Myersonian Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 82(2), pages 601-653, 03.
- Daniel Krähmer & Roland Strausz, 2011.
"Optimal Procurement Contracts with Pre-Project Planning,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 78(3), pages 1015-1041.
- Daniel Krämer & Roland Strausz, 2009. "Optimal Procurement Contracts with Pre--Project Planning," Papers 036, Departmental Working Papers.
- Rahul Deb & Maher Said, 2013.
"Dynamic Screening with Limited Commitment,"
tecipa-485, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Alessandro Pavan, 2007.
"Long Term Contracting in a Changing World,"
1493, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pascal Courty & Li Hao, 1997.
Economics Working Papers
224, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marco Battaglini, 2005.
"Long-Term Contracting with Markovian Consumers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 637-658, June.
- Hoffmann, Florian & Inderst, Roman, 2011. "Pre-sale information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2333-2355.
- Péter Eső & Balázs Szentes, 2007. "The price of advice," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(4), pages 863-880, December.
- Hao Li & Xianwen Shi, 2013. "Discriminatory Information Disclosure," Working Papers tecipa-497, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.