Testing for Common Cyclical Features in Var Models with Cointegration
We consider VAR models for variables exhibiting cointegration and common cyclical features. While the presence of cointegration reduces the rank of the long-run multiplier matrix, other types of common features lead to rank reduction of the short-run dynamics. We distinguish between strong and weak form reduced rank structures. Strong form reduced rank structures analyzed by Engle and Kozicki (1993) arise when a linear combination of the first differenced variables in a cointegrated VAR is white noise whereas in the presence of a weak form reduced rank structure, linear combinations of the first differenced variables corrected for the long-run effects are white noise. The weak form has an interest in its own. For instance, it is a necessary condition for the existence of first order codependent cycles in a VAR(2). Also, it is a necessary condition for the strong form. We also consider the mixed form which combines strong and weak forms. We discuss the model selection issues which arise from this distinction and propose a simple approach to testing for these structures using a sequence of likelihood ratio test statistics. The finite sample behavior of the sequential approach is analyzed in a Monte Carlo experiment. Finally, we illustrate the relevance of the different forms of reduced ranks with an empirical analysis of US business uctuations over the period 1954-1996.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Issler, Joao Victor & Vahid, Farshid, 2001. "Common cycles and the importance of transitory shocks to macroeconomic aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 449-475, June.
- Vahid, F & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Trends and Common Cycles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 341-360, Oct.-Dec..
- Gianluca Cubadda, 1999. "Common serial correlation and common business cycles: A cautious note," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 529-535.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : II. New directions," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 309-341.
- Vahid, Farshid & Engle, Robert F., 1997. "Codependent cycles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 199-221, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993.
"Testing for Common Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 369-380, October.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990. "Testing For Common Features," NBER Technical Working Papers 0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neusser, Klaus, 1991. "Testing the long-run implications of the neoclassical growth model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 3-37, February.
- Klaus NEUSSER, 1990. "Testing the Long-Run Implications of the Neoclassical Growth Model," Vienna Economics Papers vie9002, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-395, October.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1991. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 819-840, September.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1987. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, Joao Victor, 2002. "The importance of common cyclical features in VAR analysis: a Monte-Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 341-363, August.
- Vahid, F. & Issler, J.V., 2001. "The Importance Of Common Cyclical Features in VAR Analysis: A Monte-Carlo Study," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/01, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, João Victor, 2001. "The importance of common cyclical features in VAR analysis: a Monte-Carlo study," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 417, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Kunst, Robert & Neusser, Klaus, 1990. "Cointegration in a Macroeconomic System," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 351-365, Oct.-Dec..
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 283-306, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1988. "Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 866R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1989.
- Michel Beine & Alain Hecq, 1999. "Inference in Codependence : Some Monte Carlo Results and Applications," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 54, pages 69-90.
- Michel Beine & Alain Hecq, 1999. "Inference in codependence: some Monte Carlo results and applications," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10457, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hecq, Alain & Palm, Franz C & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2000. " Permanent-Transitory Decomposition in VAR Models with Cointegration and Common Cycles," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(4), pages 511-532, September.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 1998. "Testing multiple equation systems for common nonlinear components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-36, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.