Hypergeorgism: When is Rent Taxation as a Remedy for Insufficient Capital Accumulation Socially Optimal?
Imperfect altruism between generations may lead to insufficient capital accumulation. We study the welfare consequences of taxing the rent on a fixed production factor, such as land, in this setting. We prove that taxing the rent is welfare-enhancing as it increases capital investment. This holds for any tax level and any recycling of the tax revenues except for combinations of high taxes and strongly redistributive recycling. Specific forms of redistribution of the land rent tax - a capital subsidy or a transfer directed at fundless newborns – allow to reproduce the social optimum under parameter restrictions valid for most economies.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard Thaler, 2007. "Heuristics and Biases in Retirement Savings Behavior," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 81-104, Summer.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jerome F. Heavey, 2003. "Comments on Warren Samuels's "Why the Georgist Movement Has Not Succeeded"," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 593-599, 07.
- George Loewenstein & Drazen Prelec, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-597.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2005.
"The Marginal Product of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
11551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2006. "The Marginal Product of Capital," CEP Discussion Papers dp0735, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2006. "The marginal product of capital," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3560, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Caselli, Francesco & Feyrer, James, 2005. "The Marginal Product of Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 5203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Meijdam, Lex, 2002. "Public investment and intergenerational distribution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 707-735, May.
- Menahem E. Yaari, 1965. "Uncertain Lifetime, Life Insurance, and the Theory of the Consumer," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 137-150.
- Hiroyuki Hashimoto & Masaya Sakuragawa, 1998. "Land-Tax, Transfer and Growth in an Endogenously Growing Economy with Overlapping Generations," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 412-425, December.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Answer to an Old Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-60, April.
- Warren J. Samuels, 2003.
"Why the Georgist Movement Has Not Succeeded:,"
American Journal of Economics and Sociology,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 583-592, 07.
- Richard H. Thaler & Shlomo Benartzi, 2004. "Save More Tomorrow (TM): Using Behavioral Economics to Increase Employee Saving," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(S1), pages S164-S187, February.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1988.
"Debt Neutrality, Professor Vickrey and Henry George's "Single Tax","
NBER Working Papers
2673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1989. "Debt neutrality, Professor Vickrey and Henry George's 'single tax'," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 43-47.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988. "Death, Birth, Productivity Growth and Debt Neutrality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 279-93, June.
- Petrucci, Alberto, 2006.
"The incidence of a tax on pure rent in a small open economy,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 921-933, May.
- Petrucci, Alberto, 2005. "The Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent in a Small Open Economy," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp05025, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.