The Herodotus Paradox
The Babylonian bridal auction, described by Herodotus, is regarded as one of the earliest uses of an auction in history. Yet, to our knowledge, the literature lacks a formal equilibrium analysis of this auction. We provide such an analysis for the two-player case with complete and incomplete information, and in so doing identify what we call the “Herodotus Paradox.”
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riley, John G & Samuelson, William F, 1981.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 381-92, June.
- Maskin, Eric S & Riley, John G, 1984.
"Optimal Auctions with Risk Averse Buyers,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1473-1518, November.
- Michael R. Baye & Dan Kovenock & Casper G. de Vries, 2010.
"The Herodotus Paradox,"
2010-16, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Bhattacharyya, Sugato & Lipman, Barton L, 1995.
"Ex ante versus Interim Rationality and the Existence of Bubbles,"
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 469-94, November.
- Barton L. Lipman & Sugato Bhattacharyya, 1995. "Ex ante versus interim rationality and the existence of bubbles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 469-494.
- Sugato Bhattacharyya & Barton L. Lipman, 1992. "Ex Ante versus Interim rationality and the existence of bubbles," Working Papers 851, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20100090 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baye, Michael R. & Kovenock, Dan & Vries, Casper G. de, 2009.
"Contests with rank-order spillovers,"
Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance
SP II 2009-09, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2010090 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.