Environmental Policy and the Macroeconomy under Shallow-Lake Dynamics
We study the environmental and economic effects of public abatement in the presence of multiple stable steady-state ecological equilibria. Under shallow-lake dynamics (SLD), the isocline for the stock of pollution features two stable branches, a good and a bad one. Assuming that the ecology is initially located on the upper (bad) branch of the isocline, the ecological equilibrium is hysteretic and a suitably designed temporary abatement policy can be used to steer the environment from the bad to the good equilibrium. In all models considered in this paper, a “cold turkey” abatement policy is optimal, i.e. the largest feasible shock should be administered for the shortest possible amount of time. Depending on the particular model used to characterize the economic system, there is a capital feedback effect that either helps or hinders the attainment of a successful abatement policy.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.deEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003.
"The economics of shallow lakes,"
Other publications TiSEM
368f83ad-bc2f-4ad4-b603-8, School of Economics and Management.
- Muradian, Roldan, 2001. "Ecological thresholds: a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 7-24, July.
- Heijnen, P. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2008. "Managing the environment and the economy in the presence of hysteresis and irreversibility," CeNDEF Working Papers 08-13, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Fabien Prieur, 2009.
"The environmental Kuznets curve in a world of irreversibility,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 57-90, July.
- Fabien Prieur, 2007. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve in a World of Irreversibility," Working Papers 2007.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Ben J. Heijdra, .
"Environmental Abatement and Intergenerational Redistribution,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
00-08, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- A. Bovenberg & Ben Heijdra, 2002. "Environmental Abatement and Intergenerational Distribution," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(1), pages 45-84, September.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & Heijdra, Ben J., 1999. "Environmental abatement and intergenerational distribution," CCSO Working Papers 199907, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & Heijdra, Ben J., 1999. "Environmental abatement and intergenerational distribution," Research Report 99C63, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Heijdra, B.J., 1998. "Environmental Abatement and Intergenerational Distribution," Discussion Paper 1998-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- W.A. Brock & D. Starrett, 2003. "Managing Systems with Non-convex Positive Feedback," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 575-602, December.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & Heijdra, Ben J., 1998. "Environmental tax policy and intergenerational distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, January.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123314 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wirl, Franz, 2004. "Sustainable growth, renewable resources and pollution: Thresholds and cycles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1149-1157, March.
- Ranjan, Ram & Shortle, James, 2007. "The environmental Kuznets curve when the environment exhibits hysteresis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 204-215, October.
- Heijdra, Ben J., 2009. "Foundations of Modern Macroeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199210695.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20090033 is not listed on IDEAS
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1999. "Optimal taxation and spending in general competitive growth models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 1-26, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.