Afriat’s Theorem for General Budget Sets
Afriat (1967) showed the equivalence of the strong axiom of revealed preference and the existence of a solution to a set of linear inequalities. From this solution he constructed a utility function rationalizing the choices of a competitive consumer. We extend Afriat’s theorem to a class of nonlinear budget sets. We thereby obtain testable implications of rational behavior for a wide class of economic environments, and a constructive method to derive individual preferences from observed choices. In an application to market games, we identify a set of observable restrictions characterizing Nash equilibrium outcomes.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-86, November.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003.
"Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Chiara Dalla Nogare & Roberto Ricciuti, . "Chief Executives' Term Limits and Fiscal Policy Choices: International Evidence," Working Papers ubs0411, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:40:y:1973:i:3:p:419-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franco Spinelli & Carmine Trecroci, . "Le determinanti del tasso di sconto in Italia negli anni 1876-1913: un'analisi empirica e documentale," Working Papers ubs0405, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Sahi, Siddhartha, 2003. "Price-mediated trade with quantity signals: an axiomatic approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 377-389, July.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Maria Laura Parisi, 2005. "Which Plans to Reduce the Digital Divide? Policy Evaluation and Social Interaction," Working Papers ubs0509, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:45:y:1978:i:1:p:121-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "On the Testable Implications of Collective Choice Theories," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 205-232, August.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:108:y:1993:i:2:p:493-506 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1977. "The Recoverability of Consumers' Preferences from Market Demand Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1409-30, September.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.