Parametric Recoverability of Preferences
We bring revealed preference theory to bear on the problem of recovering approximate parametric preferences from consistent and inconsistent consumer choices. The paper investigates two measures for the incompatibility between the revealed preference relation implied by choices and the ranking induced by the proposed parametric preferences. We provide a novel characterization of several well-known inconsistency indices through these incompatibility measures. This allows a researcher to analyze both consistent and inconsistent choices, by decomposing an incompatibility measure into inconsistency and misspecification indices.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||28 Aug 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Dean & Daniel Martin, 2011. "Testing for Rationality with Consumption Data: Demographics and Heterogeneity," Working Papers 2011-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- David Ahn & Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2008.
"Estimating Ambiguity Aversion in a Portfolio Choice Experiment,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001989, David K. Levine.
- David Ahn & Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2014. "Estimating ambiguity aversion in a portfolio choice experiment," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 5, pages 195-223, 07.
- Syngjoo Choi & Shachar Kariv & Wieland M?ller & Dan Silverman, 2014.
"Who Is (More) Rational?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(6), pages 1518-50, June.
- Syngjoo Choi & Shachar Kariv & Wieland Mueller & Dan Silverman, 2011. "Who Is (More) Rational?," Vienna Economics Papers 1105, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Syngjoo Choi & Shachar Kariv & Wieland Müller & Dan Silverman, 2011. "Who Is (More) Rational?," NBER Working Papers 16791, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yusufcan Masatlioglu & Daisuke Nakajima & Erkut Ozbay, 2009.
NajEcon Working Paper Reviews
- Varian, Hal R., 1985. "Non-parametric analysis of optimizing behavior with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 445-458.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Antonio Rangel, 2008.
"Beyond Revealed Preference: Choice Theoretic Foundations for Behavioral Welfare Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
13737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Bernheim & Antonio Rangel, 2007. "Beyond Revealed Preference Choice Theoretic Foundations for Behavioral Welfare Economics," Discussion Papers 07-031, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Jose Apesteguia and Miguel Angel Ballester, 2015.
"A Measure of Rationality and Welfare,"
467, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jose Apesteguia & Miguel Angel Ballester, 2015. "A Measure of Rationality and Welfare," Working Papers 573, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jose Apesteguia & Miguel Angel Ballester, 2010. "A measure of rationality and welfare," Economics Working Papers 1220, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2014.
- Federico Echenique & Sangmok Lee & Matthew Shum, 2011. "The Money Pump as a Measure of Revealed Preference Violations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(6), pages 1201 - 1223.
- Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2007. "Sequentially Rationalizable Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1824-1839, December.
- Laurens Cherchye & Ian Crawford & Bram De Rock & Frederic Vermeulen, 2009. "The revealed preference approach to demand," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/132522, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Syngjoo Choi & Raymond Fisman & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2007. "Consistency and Heterogeneity of Individual Behavior under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1921-1938, December.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:pmicro:yoram_halevy-2012-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.