Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets
We present necessary and sufficient revealed preference conditions to verify whether a finite data set on nonlinear budget sets is consistent with the maximization of a quasi–concave utility function. Our results can be used to test for convexity of the underlying preference relation. We also show that in many settings, our conditions are easy to use in practical applications.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://feb.kuleuven.be/Economics/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richter, Marcel K. & Wong, K.-C.Kam-Chau, 2004. "Concave utility on finite sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 341-357, April.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2011.
"Afriat's Theorem and Some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2011-22, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2011.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2012. "Afriat's Theorem and some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(560), pages 305-331, 05.
- repec:ecj:econjl:v:122:y:2012:i::p:305-331 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004.
"Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rosa L. Matzkin & Marcel K. Richter, 1987.
"Testing Strictly Concave Rationality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
844, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Francoise Forges & Enrico Minelli, 2009. "Afriat's theorem for generalized budget sets," Post-Print hal-00360726, HAL.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, November.
- Yatchew, Adonis John, 1985. "A note on non-parametric tests of consumer behaviour," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 45-48.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-86, November.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forges, Françoise & Minelli, Enrico, 2009.
"Afriat's theorem for general budget sets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 135-145, January.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Demuynck, Thomas, 2009. "A general extension result with applications to convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 96-109, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ete:ceswps:ces12.15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library EBIB)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.