Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets
We present necessary and sufficient revealed preference conditions to verify whether a finite data set on nonlinear budget sets is consistent with the maximization of a quasi–concave utility function. Our results can be used to test for convexity of the underlying preference relation. We also show that in many settings, our conditions are easy to use in practical applications.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://feb.kuleuven.be/Economics/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-973, July.
- Matzkin, Rosa L. & Richter, Marcel K., 1991.
"Testing strictly concave rationality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 287-303, April.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Demuynck, Thomas, 2009. "A general extension result with applications to convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 96-109, January.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-1786, November.
- Forges, Françoise & Minelli, Enrico, 2009.
"Afriat's theorem for general budget sets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 135-145, January.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003.
"Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- Charles F. Manski, 2012.
"Identification of income-leisure preferences and evaluation of income tax policy,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP07/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Charles F. Manski, 2014. "Identification of income–leisure preferences and evaluation of income tax policy," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 5, pages 145-174, 03.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Thomas DEMUYNCK & Bram DE ROCK, 2012.
"Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces12.15, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Demuynck, Thomas & De Rock, Bram, 2014. "Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 152(C), pages 224-236.
- Laurens Cherchye & Thomas Demuynck & Bram De Rock, 2012. "Revealed Preference Analysis for Convex Rationalizations on Nonlinear Budget Sets," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-044, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Richter, Marcel K. & Wong, K.-C.Kam-Chau, 2004. "Concave utility on finite sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 341-357, April.
- Francoise Forges & Enrico Minelli, 2009. "Afriat's theorem for generalized budget sets," Post-Print hal-00360726, HAL.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2012.
"Afriat's Theorem and some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(560), pages 305-331, 05.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2011. "Afriat's Theorem and Some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-22, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2011.
- Yatchew, Adonis John, 1985. "A note on non-parametric tests of consumer behaviour," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 45-48.
- repec:ecj:econjl:v:122:y:2012:i::p:305-331 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ete:ceswps:ces12.15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library EBIB)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.