Revealed Preference Analysis for Convex Rationalizations on Nonlinear Budget Sets
We present necessary and sufficient revealed preference conditions to verify whether a finite data seton nonlinear budget sets is consistent with the maximization of a quasi–concave utility function. Ourresults can be used to test for convexity of the underlying preference relation. We also show that in manysettings, our conditions are easy to use in practical applications.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forges, Françoise & Minelli, Enrico, 2009.
"Afriat's theorem for general budget sets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 135-145, January.
- Laurens Cherchye & Thomas Demuynck & Bram De Rock, 2012.
"Revealed Preference Analysis for Convex Rationalizations on Nonlinear Budget Sets,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2012-044, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Demuynck, Thomas & De Rock, Bram, 2014. "Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 152(C), pages 224-236.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Thomas DEMUYNCK & Bram DE ROCK, 2012. "Revealed preference analysis for convex rationalizations on nonlinear budget sets," Working Papers Department of Economics ces12.15, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Rosa L. Matzkin & Marcel K. Richter, 1987.
"Testing Strictly Concave Rationality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
844, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Francoise Forges & Enrico Minelli, 2009. "Afriat's theorem for generalized budget sets," Post-Print hal-00360726, HAL.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, May.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-973, July.
- Charles F. Manski, 2014.
"Identification of income–leisure preferences and evaluation of income tax policy,"
Econometric Society, vol. 5, pages 145-174, 03.
- Charles F. Manski, 2012. "Identification of income-leisure preferences and evaluation of income tax policy," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- A. Fostel & H. Scarf & M. Todd, 2004.
"Two new proofs of Afriat’s theorem,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 24(1), pages 211-219, 07.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2011.
"Afriat's Theorem and Some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2011-22, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2011.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2012. "Afriat's Theorem and some Extensions to Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(560), pages 305-331, 05.
- Richter, Marcel K. & Wong, K.-C.Kam-Chau, 2004. "Concave utility on finite sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 341-357, April.
- Demuynck, Thomas, 2009. "A general extension result with applications to convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 96-109, January.
- repec:ecj:econjl:v:122:y:2012:i::p:305-331 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-1786, November.
- Yatchew, Adonis John, 1985. "A note on non-parametric tests of consumer behaviour," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 45-48.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2013/133538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.