Towards a Macro-Prudential Leading Indicators Framework for Monitoring Financial Vulnerability
The 1997 Asian financial crisis has revealed the limitations of the current state of monetary and financial monitoring system in most Asian countries in comprehensively addressing financial and monetary problems and issues. This paper attempts to propose a macro-prudential indicators (MPI) framework for monitoring vulnerability of financial markets. A literature survey on studies leading indicators has been presented. An illustrative and simple framework for analysis and interpretation of core set of 22 leading indicators (that were identified from 67 commonly agreed Asian Development Bank Indicators for selected Asia-Pacific countries, namely Fiji, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Viet Nam, and Taiwan, Province of China ) has been presented using annual time-series data for the afore-mentioned countries. A correlation and volatility analysis of Thailand’s annual and quarterly data (1994-2002) has also been performed in order to propose a simple methodology for constructing benchmarks for early warning signals and for developing a composite indicators. This above analysis carried out in this paper highlights the usefulness of MPIs as a tool for monitoring financial vulnerability.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"Financial crises in Asia and Latin America: Then and now,"
13877, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L & Reinhart, Carmen M, 1998. "Financial Crises in Asia and Latin America: Then and Now," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 444-48, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996. "Understanding Financial Crises: A Developing Country Perspective," NBER Working Papers 5600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ramon Moreno, 1997. "Dealing with currency speculation in the Asian Pacific Basin," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue apr11.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Financial Soundness Indicators; Analytical Aspects and Country Practices," IMF Occasional Papers 212, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996.
"Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1759, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andrés Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 147-216.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," NBER Working Papers 5576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E Philip Davis, 1999. "Financial data needs for macroprudential surveillance - What are the key indicators of risks to domestic financial stability?," Lectures, Centre for Central Banking Studies, Bank of England, number 2, November.
- Salvatore, Dominick, 1999. "Could the Financial Crisis in East Asia Have Been Predicted?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 341-347, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.