Mobility in China
We examine the evidence on rank and income mobility in China during the decades immediately preceding and immediately following the millennium using panel data from the China Health and Nutrition Survey. We show that rank mobility changed markedly over the period: in this respect China is becoming markedly more rigid. By contrast income mobility has carried on increasing; so has income inequality.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Trede, 1999. "Statistical Inference for Measures of Income Mobility," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 218(3+4), pages 473-490, March.
- Xuehua Shi & Xiaoyun Liu & Alexander Nuetah & Xian Xin, 2010. "Determinants of Household Income Mobility in Rural China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 18(2), pages 41-59.
- Buhmann, Brigitte, et al, 1988. "Equivalence Scales, Well-Being, Inequality, and Poverty: Sensitivity Estimates across Ten Countries Using the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) Database," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(2), pages 115-42, June.
- Trede, Mark, 1998.
"Making mobility visible: a graphical device,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 77-82, April.
- Frank A. Cowell & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2011.
199, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jiandong Chen & Dai Dai & Ming Pu & Wenxuan Hou & Qiaobin Feng, 2010. "The trend of the Gini coefficient of China," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 10910, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Honge Gong & Andrew Leigh & Xin Meng, 2012.
"Intergenerational Income Mobility In Urban China,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(3), pages 481-503, 09.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2004.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3408, The World Bank.
- Formby, John P. & Smith, W. James & Zheng, Buhong, 2004. "Mobility measurement, transition matrices and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 181-205, May.
- Dardanoni Valentino, 1993. "Measuring Social Mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 372-394, December.
- Zhang, Yingqiang & Eriksson, Tor, 2009.
"Inequality of Opportunity and Income Inequality in Nine Chinese Provinces, 1989-2006,"
09-18, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Yingqiang & Eriksson, Tor, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity and income inequality in nine Chinese provinces, 1989-2006," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 607-616, December.
- Niny Khor & John Pencavel, 2006.
"Income mobility of individuals in China and the United States,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(3), pages 417-458, 07.
- Niny Khor & John Pencavel, 2006. "Income Mobility of Individuals In China and the United States," Discussion Papers 05-009, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Khor, Niny & Pencavel, John, 2006. "Income Mobility of Individuals in China and the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 2003, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Gottschalk & Enrico Spolaore, 2002.
"On the Evaluation of Economic Mobility,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 191-208.
- Peter Gottschalk & Enrico Spolaore, 1998. "On the Evaluation of Economic Mobility," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 407., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Gottschalk & Enrico Spolare, 2001. "On the Evaluation of Economic Mobility," Working Papers 2001-25, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Peter T. Gottschalk & Enrico Spolaore, 2000. "On the Evaluation of Economic Mobility," JCPR Working Papers 185, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Peter Gottschalk & Enrico Spolaore, 2000. "On the Evaluation of Economic Mobility," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 459, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 09 Apr 2001.
- Shi, Xuehua & Nuetah, J. Alexander & Xin, Xian, 2010.
"Household income mobility in rural China: 1989-2006,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1090-1096, September.
- Xuehua Shi & Alexander Nuetah & Xian Xin, 2009. "Household Income Mobility in Rural China:1989-2006," Working Papers 0901, China Agricultural University, College of Economics and Management.
- Ding, Ning & Wang, Yougui, 2008. "Household income mobility in China and its decomposition," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 373-380, September.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2009. "Measurement of income mobility: a re-examination," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 629-645, November.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003.
"What Lies Behind Income Mobility? Reranking and Distributional Change in Belgium, Western Germany and the USA,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2003-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Philippe Van Kerm, 2004. "What Lies Behind Income Mobility? Reranking and Distributional Change in Belgium, Western Germany and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(281), pages 223-239, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stippp:18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.