Energy use and energy access in relation to poverty
This paper looks at how access and use of energy are related to poverty. Different approaches to how energy poverty might be measured are presented. One approach involves the estimation of basic energy needs of a household based on engineering calculations and certain normative assumptions. The second looks at poverty in relation to access to different energy sources. An alternative approach is then provided that combines the elements of access and consumption of energy in order to examine how these relate to the well being of households. Examining well being in terms of both these dimensions – access to clean and efficient energy sources; and sufficiency in terms of the quantity of energy consumed, could be an important complementary measure of poverty. The consumption dimension includes non-commercial consumption and thus includes self-produced and bartered products. The access dimension can serve as an indicator of the extent of market integration, or more specifically, as an indicator of the opportunity to join the modern market economy.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-632 06 50
Fax: +41-1-632 16 22
Web page: http://www.cepe.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Adrian Müller, 2003. "Rent of Hydropower Generation in Switzerland in a Liberalized Market," CEPE Working paper series 01-20, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Lester C. Hunt, 2003. "Fuel tourism in border regions," CEPE Working paper series 03-23, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Pachauri, Shonali & Spreng, Daniel, 2002. "Direct and indirect energy requirements of households in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 511-523, May.
- Massimo Filippini & Jörg Wild, 2000.
"Regional Differences in Electricity Distribution Costs and their Consequences for Yardstick Regulation of Access Prices,"
CEPE Working paper series
00-05, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Filippini, Massimo & Wild, Jorg, 2001. "Regional differences in electricity distribution costs and their consequences for yardstick regulation of access prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 477-488, July.
- J.V. Meenakshi & Ranjan Ray, 2000.
"Impact of Household Size and Family Composition on Poverty in Rural India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2000-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Meenakshi, J. V. & Ray, Ranjan, 2002. "Impact of household size and family composition on poverty in rural India," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 539-559, October.
- Reddy, Amulya K.N. & Reddy, B.Sudhakara, 1994. "Substitution of energy carriers for cooking in Bangalore," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 561-571.
- Gürkan Kumbaroglu & Reinhard Madlener, 2001. "A Description of the Hybrid Bottom-Up CGE Model SCREEN with an Application to Swiss Climate Policy Analysis," CEPE Working paper series 01-10, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Martin Jakob & Reinhard Madlener, 2003. "Exploring Experience Curves for the Building Envelope: An Investigation for Switzerland for 1970–2020," CEPE Working paper series 03-22, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Massimo Filippini & Jörg Wild & Michael Kuenzle, 2001. "Scale and cost efficiency in the Swiss electricity distribution industry: evidence from a frontier cost approach," CEPE Working paper series 01-08, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Davis, Mark, 1998. "Rural household energy consumption : The effects of access to electricity--evidence from South Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 207-217, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cee:wpcepe:03-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Ordas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.