Testing for a time-varying price-cost markup in the Euro area inflation process
Empirical models of inflation often incorporate equilibrium correction effects based upon levels of prices and input costs. Such models assume that the steady-state price-cost markup is constant, but recent research suggests that this may not be true for the Euro area economy, which has undergone major structural reforms over the last 25 years. We allow for permanent shifts in the markup factor through estimating an inflation equation that includes a time-varying intercept. The model suggests that a reduction in the markup contributed to disinflation in the Euro area during the period 1981-2000.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508|
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2003.
"Globalization and global disinflation,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-112.
- Ball, Laurence & Romer, David, 2003.
" Inflation and the Informativeness of Prices,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 177-96, April.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Allan W. Gregory & Alfred A. Haug & Nicoletta Lomuto, 2004. "Mixed signals among tests for cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 89-98.
- Eilev S. Jansen, 2004.
"Modelling inflation in the Euro Area,"
2004/10, Norges Bank.
- Banerjee, A. & Russell, B., 1999.
"The Relationship Between the Markup and Inflation in the G7 Plus One Economies,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99205, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, A. & Russell, B., 2000. "The Relationship between the Markup and Inflation in the G7 plus One Economies," Economics Working Papers eco2000/7, European University Institute.
- Anindya Banerjee & Bill Russell, 2000. "The Relationship Between the Markup and Inflation in the G7 Plus One Economies," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0242, Econometric Society.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Steven M. Fazzari, 2000.
"Market Power and Inflation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 509-513, August.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999.
"Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2000. "Inflation and output forecasts for South Africa: monetary transmission implications," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-23, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995.
"Modelling Inflation in Australia,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp9510, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Anindya Banerjee & Bill Russell, 2000. "The Relationship between the Markup and Inflation in the G7 Economies and Australia," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 119, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing for Higher Order Serial Correlation in Regression Equations When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1303-10, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Harbo, Ingrid, et al, 1998. "Asymptotic Inference on Cointegrating Rank in Partial Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 388-99, October.
- Gwin, Carl R & Taylor, Beck A, 2004. "The Role of Search Costs in Determining the Relationship between Inflation and Profit Margins," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 139-49, February.
- Anders Rahbek & Rocco Mosconi, 1999. "Cointegration rank inference with stationary regressors in VAR models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 76-91.
- David Bowman, 2003. "Market power and inflation," International Finance Discussion Papers 783, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bowdler, Christopher & Jansen, Eilev S., 2004. "A markup model of inflation for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0306, European Central Bank.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Roland Benabou, 1992. "Inflation and Efficiency in Search Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 299-329.
- Nath, Hiranya K., 2004. "Inflation and relative price variability: short-run vs. long-run," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 363-369, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt4s75w541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.