Adjustment of State Owned and Foreign-Funded Enterprises in China to economic reforms,1980s-2007: a logistic smooth transition regression (LSTR) approach
This paper applies a logistic smooth transition regression approach to the estimation of a homogenous aggregate value added production function of the State Owned (SOE) and Foreign-Funded Enterprises (FFE) in China, 1980s-2007. The transition associated with the eco- nomic reforms in China is estimated applying a curvilinear logistic function, where the speed and the timing of the transition are endoge- nously determined by the data. We ï¬nd high but gradually declining markups in both SOEs and FFEs during the early stages of the ad- justment, with SOEs having a much larger scale and market size than the FFEs. However, over the transition process, returns to scale in industrial SOEs dropped sharply. For both FFEs and SOEs the tran- sition is slow, with a midpoint about 7 and 14 years, respectively. We ï¬nd signiï¬cant increase of TFP growth rate for both FFEs and SOEs, by 0.1436 and 0.1971, respectively.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (831) 459-2743
Fax: (831) 459-5077
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucscecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2001. "Finance for Growth : Policy Choices in a Volatile World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13895.
- González, Andrés & Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick, 2005.
"Panel Smooth Transition Regression Models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
604, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fouquau, Julien & Hurlin, Christophe & Rabaud, Isabelle, 2008.
"The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle: A panel smooth transition regression approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 284-299, March.
- Julien FOUQUAU & Christophe HURLIN & Isabelle RABAUD, 2006. "The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle : a Panel Smooth Transition Regression Approach," Working Papers 1610, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Julien Fouquau & Christophe Hurlin & Isabelle Rabaud, 2007. "The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle: a Panel SmoothTransition Regression Approach," Working Papers halshs-00156688, HAL.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Krishna, Pravin & Mitra, Devashish, 1998.
"Trade liberalization, market discipline and productivity growth: new evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 447-462, August.
- Pravin Krishna & Devashish Mitra, . "Trade Liberalization, Market Discipline and Productivity Growth: New Evidence From India," Working Papers 96-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Finance for Growth: Policy Choices in a Volatile World," MPRA Paper 9929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Harrison, Ann E., 1994. "Productivity, imperfect competition and trade reform : Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 53-73, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucscec:qt7919w74z. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.