Testing for Regime Switching: A Comment
In Cho and White (2007) "Testing for Regime Switching" the authors obtain the asymptotic null distribution of a quasi-likelihood ratio (QLR) statistic. The statistic is designed to test the null hypothesis of one regime against the alternative of Markov switching between two regimes. Likelihood ratio statistics are used because the test involves nuisance parameters that are not identified under the null hypothesis, together with other nonstandard features. Cho and White focus on a quasi-likelihood, which ignores certain serial correlation properties but allows for a tractable factorization of the likelihood. While the majority of their paper focuses on asymptotic behavior under the null hypothesis, Theorem 1(b) states that the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) is consistent under the alternative hypothesis. Consistency of the QMLE requires that the expected quasi-log-likelihood attain a global maximum at the population parameter values. This requirement holds for some Markov regime-switching processes but, as we show below, not for an autoregressive process as analyzed in Cho and White.
|Date of creation:||26 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (805) 893-3670
Fax: (805) 893-8830
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsbecon_dwp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Levine, 1981.
"A Remark on Serial Correlation in Maximum Likelihood,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
215, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Levine, David, 1983. "A remark on serial correlation in maximum likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 337-342, December.
- David K. Levine, 1983. "A Remark on Serial Correlation in Maximum Likelihood," Levine's Working Paper Archive 176, David K. Levine.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Jeremy M. Piger & Richard Startz, 2004.
"Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching,"
2003-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Kim, Chang-Jin & Piger, Jeremy & Startz, Richard, 2008. "Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 263-273, April.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sean D. Campbell, 2002. "Specification Testing and Semiparametric Estimation of Regime Switching Models: An Examination of the US Short Term Interest Rate," Working Papers 2002-26, Brown University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsbec:qt5079q9dc. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.