Multinationals in their communities: A social capital approach to corporate citizenship projects
The objectives of this research are to provide new ways of thinking about and measuring the extent and effectiveness of multinational company efforts to contribute to society via their corporate citizenship (CC) (or corporate social responsibility - CSR) programmes. It uses as its method of analysis the emerging literature relating to the theory and measurement of social capital. The paper summarises the findings of a forthcoming book (from Palgrave, 2007). We begin by discussing the concept of corporate citizenship in the context of the multinational. We go on to introduce the concept of social capital employed in the study. Next we summarise our case study evidence with cases from Anglo American and Diageo. Following this, we review our statistical and econometric analysis which maps the community engagements of UK multinationals in South Africa, US multinationals in Mexico and EU multinationals in Poland. We demonstrate the usefulness for analysis of social capital thinking in this context and make suggestions for future work.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- Paldam, Martin, 2000. " Social Capital: One or Many? Definition and Measurement," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(5), pages 629-53, December.
- I Jones & C.M Nyland & M.G Pollitt, 2001. "How do Multinationals Build Social Capital? Evidence from South Africa," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp220, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- David Bek & Ian W Jones & Michael J Pollitt, 2005. "How do Multinationals Build Social Capital? Diageo's Corporate Citizenship Programme," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp302, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ian W. Jones & Chris M. Nyland & Michael G. Pollitt, 2004. "Multinationals in Developing Communities: how EU Multinationals build Social Capital in Poland," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp285, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Ian Jones & Michael Pollitt & Chris Nyland, 2002. "How do multinationals build social capital? Evidence from Mexico," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp249, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.