Mutuality and Corporate Governance: The Evolution of UK Building Societies Following Deregulation
This paper studies the effects of deregulation following the UK Building Societies Act 1986, which opened the way for competition between building societies and commercial banks and introduced a procedure for the demutualisation of a building society. it is argued that the Act brought about a rearrangement of property rights which destabilised the building society form. A wave of demutualisations followed in the 1990's. the beneficiaries of change included corporate managers whose earnings and status were enhanced following conversion, and speculative investors who profitted from windfall gains. These were set against losses to borrowers, in the form of higher costs of loans, and to communities, in the form of reduced diversity of services. There is no guarentee that the recent trajectory of the sector is one of evolution to efficiency. Rather, its experience illustrates the often enexpected consequences for corporate governance of changes in regulation and property rights.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
CEPR Discussion Papers
1806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lamm-Tennant, Joan & Starks, Laura T, 1993. "Stock versus Mutual Ownership Structures: The Risk Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998.
"Cooperatives vs. outside ownership,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19360, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 346, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1816, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 2004. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," ESE Discussion Papers 114, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Barry Howcroft, 1999. "Mutuality versus Public Company - the Debate in Europe and the USA," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 167-177, 04.
- Ingham, Hilary & Thompson, Steve, 1995. "Mutuality, Performance and Executive Compensation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(3), pages 295-308, August.
- Kevin Amess & Barry Howcroft, 2001. "Corporate Governance Structures and the Comparative Advantage of Credit Unions," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 59-65, 01.
- David T LLEWELLYN & Mark J HOLMES, 1991. "In Defence Of Mutuality: A Redress To An Emerging Conventional Wisdom," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 319-354, 07.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss & Hongmin Zi, 1998.
"Organizational form and efficiency: an analysis of stock and mutual property-liability insurers,"
98-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss & Hongmin Zi, 1998. "Organizational Form and Efficiency: An Analysis of Stock and Mutual Property-Liability Insurers," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-02, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Mayers, David & Shivdasani, Anil & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1997. "Board Composition and Corporate Control: Evidence from the Insurance Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 33-62, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss & Hongmin Zi, 1999. "Organizational Form and Efficiency: The Coexistence of Stock and Mutual Property-Liability Insurers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1254-1269, September.
- Hilary Ingham & Steve Thompson, 1994. "Paying for performance: Efficiency wages and mutuality," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 279-289, July/Augu.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Patricia Born & William M. Gentry & W. Kip Viscusi & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1998.
"Organizational Form and Insurance Company Performance: Stocks versus Mutuals,"
in: The Economics of Property-Casualty Insurance, pages 167-192
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia Born & William M. Gentry & W. Kip Viscusi & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1995. "Organizational Form and Insurance Company Performance: Stocks versus Mutuals," NBER Working Papers 5246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Howard Jarman, 1998. "Building Societies: Some Suggestions for Reform," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 161-176, April.
- Thompson, Steve, 1997. "Takeover activity among financial mutuals: An analysis of target characteristics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-53, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.