Financial Systemic Stability: Challenging Aspects of Central Banks
Since 2007 global financial crisis, many central banks have tended to focus on financial stability much more than ever. Lessons learned from recent crises witness that in a period of sustained economic growth with low and stable inflation, financial imbalances could adversely affect financial system and real economy, which eventually leads to financial crises. In addition, the cost of crises becomes increasingly expensive over time because crises themselves have been more systemic. Risk from one financial institution can easily transfer to others and then to the whole financial market. Thus, current crises highlight the importance of financial stability role of central banks in two main aspects, crisis prevention and crisis management. The paper indicates that in recent financial crises, many central banks have stepped beyond their traditional roles in order to ensure financial system stability. Some instruments and measures that central banks have implemented can be considered as unconventional ones. Looking forward, these practices then lead to new challenges for central banks in three main aspects: risk identification, risk mitigation, and policy issuance process. Eventually, this paper also provides policy implications to Bank of Thailand, based on international experiences and lessons learned from recent crises.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (662) 283-5353
Fax: (662) 280-0449
Web page: http://www.bot.or.th/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martina Cecioni & Giuseppe Ferrero & Alessandro Secchi, 2011. "Unconventional Monetary Policy in Theory and in Practice," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 102, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sebastian Schich & Byoung-Hwan Kim, 2010. "Systemic Financial Crises: How to Fund Resolution," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(2), pages 1-34.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2011.
"Macro-prudential policy and the conduct of monetary policy,"
8, Banque de France.
- Denis Beau & Christophe Cahn & Laurent Clerc & Benoît Mojon, 2013. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 715, Central Bank of Chile.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2012. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working papers 390, Banque de France.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bth:wpaper:2012-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pym Manopimoke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.