Using Local Statistics to Portray Ethnic Residential Segregation in London
Much has been written about ethnic residential segregation in urban areas, almost all of it deploying single-index numbers to measure the degree of segregation. These give very little detailed appreciation of the extent to which different ethnic groups live apart from each other, and where. This paper suggests that a combination of measures derived from local spatial statistics, which identify the geography of clustering, and a typology of residential areas, which describes the population composition of each area, provides much greater insight into the nature and extent of segregation. Data for London in 2001 illustrate the potential of this approach.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0117 33 10799
Fax: 0117 33 10705
Web page: http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmpo/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 1997.
"The Rise and Decline of the American Ghetto,"
NBER Working Papers
5881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Keith Ord & Arthur Getis, 2001. "Testing for Local Spatial Autocorrelation in the Presence of Global Autocorrelation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 411-432.
- Allan J Brimicombe, 2007. "Ethnicity, religion, and residential segregation in London: evidence from a computational typology of minority communities," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(5), pages 884-904, September.
- Michael Poulsen & Ron Johnston & James Forrest, 2001. "Intraurban ethnic enclaves: introducing a knowledge-based classification method," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(11), pages 2071-2082, November.
- Michael Poulson & Ron Johnston, 2006. "Ethnic residential segregation in England: getting the right message across," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(12), pages 2195-2199, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bri:cmpowp:09/213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.