'Soft' growth and the role of monetary policy in selecting the long-run equilibrium path
Combining employment and growth theory with a cash-in-advance constraint, the model determines the balanced growth path (BGP). Under low intertemporal elasticity of substitution in consumption, the Friedman rule is consistent with the existence of an unique BGP: monetary rules leading to a steady-state rate of money expansion higher than that dictated by the Friedman rule lower balanced growth. Under high elasticity, the Friedman rule is consistent with multiple BGP: the authority can "select" the BGP exhibiting the highest growth rate by expanding money at the appropriate fixed rate, since balanced growth rises with the fixed rate of money expansion.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0039 035 2052111
Web page: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/en_struttura.asp?cerca=en_dse_intro
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1996. "A Microfoundation for Social Increasing Returns in Human Capital Accumulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 779-804, August.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985.
"Dynamic Behavior of Capital Accumulation in a Cash-in-Advance Model,"
NBER Working Papers
1549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1985. "Dynamic behavior of capital accumulation in a cash-in-advance model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-71, July.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher, 1993. "Skill Shortages, Productivity Growth and Wage Inflation in UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Palivos, Theodore & Yip, Chong K, 1995.
"Government Expenditure Financing in an Endogenous Growth Model: A Comparison,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1159-78, November.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1995. "Government Expenditure Financing in an Endogenous Growth Model: A Comparison," Departmental Working Papers _057, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1994. "Government expenditure financing in an endogenous growth model: a comparison," Working Paper 94-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Soskice, David, 1990. "Wage Determination: The Changing Role of Institutions in Advanced Industrialized Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 36-61, Winter.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L, 1996.
"Who Gets Over the Training Hurdle? A Study of the Training Experiences of Young Men and Women in Britain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Alison L. Booth, 1997. "Who gets over the training hurdle? A study of the training experiences of young men and women in Britain," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 197-217.
- Wang, P. & Yip, C.K., 1991.
"Examining the Long-Run Effect of Money on Economic Growth,"
6-91-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K., 1992. "Examining the long-run effect of money on economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 359-369.
- Gomme, Paul, 1993.
"Money and growth revisited : Measuring the costs of inflation in an endogenous growth model,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 51-77, August.
- Gomme, P., 1993. "Money and Growth Revisited : Measuring the Costs of Inflation in an Endogenous Growth Model," Discussion Papers dp93-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Paul Gomme, 1991. "Money and growth revisited," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 55, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Alogoskoufis, George S, 1994. "Money and Endogenous Growth," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 771-91, November.
- Gylfason, T., 1991. "Endogenous Growth and Inflation," Papers 502, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta & Ignazio Visco, 2000.
"Knowledge, Technology and Economic Growth: Recent Evidence from OECD Countries,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
259, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta & Ignazio Visco, 2000. "Knowledge technology and economic growth: recent evidence from OECD countries," Working Paper Research 06, National Bank of Belgium.
- Snower, Dennis J., 1994. "The Low-Skill, Bad-Job Trap," CEPR Discussion Papers 999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
3181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Jones, Larry E. & Manuelli, Rodolfo E., 1995.
"Growth and the effects of inflation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1405-1428, November.
- Sailesh K. Jha & Ping Wang & Chong K.Yip, 2000.
"Dynamics in a Transactions-Based Monetary Growth Model,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0005, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jha, Sailesh K. & Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K., 2002. "Dynamics in a transactions-based monetary growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 611-635, April.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Mino, Kazuo & Shibata, Akihisa, 1995. "Monetary Policy, Overlapping Generations, and Patterns of Growth," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 179-94, May.
- Brunello, Giorgio, 2001. "On the Complementarity between Education and Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 309, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- J. Bradford DeLong & Lawrence H. Summers, 1992. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth: How Strong Is the Nexus?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(2), pages 157-212.
- Chang, Wen-ya & Lai, Ching-chong, 2000. "Anticipated Inflation in a Monetary Economy with Endogenous Growth," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 399-417, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brg:wpaper:0306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Bergamo Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.