Exploration for Nonrenewable Resources in a Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result
I investigate two versions of a differential Cournot oligopoly game with nonrenewable resource exploitation, in which each firm may either exploit its own private pool or exploit a common pool jointly with the rivals. Firms use a deterministic technology to invest in exploration activities. In both models, there emerges that (i) the individual exploration effort is higher when each firms has exclusive rights on a pool of its own, and (ii) depending on the assumptions on technology and demand, the aggregate exploration effort is either constant or increasing in the number of firms.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olsen, Trond E, 1988. "Strategic Considerations in Invention and Innovation; The Case of Natural Resources Revisited," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 841-49, July.
- Quyen, N V, 1988. "The Optimal Depletion and Exploration of a Nonrenewable Resource," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1467-71, November.
- Hoel, Michael, 1978. "Resource extraction, substitute production, and monopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 28-37, October.
- Christopher Harris & John Vickers, 1995. "Innovation and Natural Resources: A Dynamic Game with Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(3), pages 418-430, Autumn.
- Colombo, Luca & Labrecciosa, Paola, 2013. "Oligopoly exploitation of a private property productive asset," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 838-853.
- Davison, R, 1978. "Optimal Depletion of an Exhaustible Resource with Research and Development towards an Alternative Technology," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 355-67, June.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Chang, Sheldon, 1982. "Optimal pricing, use, and exploration of uncertain natural resource stocks," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2002. "A differential game approach to investment in product differentiation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 51-62, November.
- Cairns, Robert D. & Van Quyen, Nguyen, 1998. "Optimal Exploration for and Exploitation of Heterogeneous Mineral Deposits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 164-189, March.
- Mohr, Ernst U, 1988. "Appropriation of Common Access Natural Resources through Exploration: The Relevance of the Open-Loop Concept," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 307-19, May.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2007.
"Time consistent fiscal policies in a Ramsey economy,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 296-313, May.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2004. "Time consistent fiscal policies in a Ramsey economy," Working Papers 522, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Hoel, Michael, 1983. "Monopoly resource extractions under the presence of predetermined substitute production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 201-212, June.
- Boyce, John R. & Vojtassak, Lucia, 2008. "An 'oil'igopoly theory of exploration," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 428-454, August.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Nancy Gallini & Tracy Lewis & Roger Ware, 1983. "Strategic Timing and Pricing of a Substitute in a Cartelized Resource Market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 429-46, August.
- Quyen, N V, 1991. "Exhaustible Resources: A Theory of Exploration," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 777-89, July.
- Stephen Polasky, 1996. "Exploration and Extraction in a Duopoly-Exhaustible Resource Market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 473-92, May.
- Deshmukh, Sudhakar D & Pliska, Stanley R, 1980. "Optimal Consumption and Exploration of Nonrenewable Resources under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 177-200, January.
- Fershtman, C. & Nitzan, S., 1988.
"Dynamic Voluntary Provision Of Public Goods,"
21-88, Tel Aviv.
- Karp, Larry & Lee, In Ho, 2000.
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt94q3m5mq, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1986. "A Theory of 'Oil'igopoly: Cournot Equilibrium in Exhaustible Resource Markets with Fixed Supplies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(2), pages 285-301, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.