A state space approach to extracting the signal from uncertain data
Most macroeconomic data are uncertain - they are estimates rather than perfect measures. Use of these uncertain data to form an assessment of current activity can be viewed as a problem of signal extraction. One symptom of that uncertainty is the propensity of statistical agencies to revise their estimates in the light of new information or methodological advances. This paper sets out an approach to extracting the signal from uncertain data that takes the experience of past revisions as representative of the uncertainties surrounding the latest published estimates. Specifically, it describes a two-step estimation procedure in which the history of past revisions (real-time data) are first used to estimate the parameters of a measurement equation describing the official published estimates; and these parameters are then imposed in a maximum likelihood estimation of a state space representation of the 'true' profile of the macroeconomic variable.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howrey, E Philip, 1978. "The Use of Preliminary Data in Econometric Forecasting," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 193-200, May.
- Donald, Stephen G & Newey, Whitney K, 2001.
"Choosing the Number of Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1161-91, September.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Anthony Garratt & Shaun P Vahey, 2006.
"UK Real-Time Macro Data Characteristics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F119-F135, 02.
- Anthony Garratt & Shaun P Vahey, 2005. "UK Real-Time Macro Data Characteristics," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0502, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Shaun Vahey & Tony Garratt, 2005. "UK Real-time Macro Data Characteristics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 253, Society for Computational Economics.
- Yates, Tony & Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios, 2003.
"Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
225, Royal Economic Society.
- Harrison, Richard & Kapetanios, George & Yates, Tony, 2005. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 595-607.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," Bank of England working papers 237, Bank of England.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with Measurement Errors in Dynamic Models," Working Papers 521, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004.
"Estimating Time-Variation in Measurement Error from Data Revisions: An Application to Forecasting in Dynamic Models,"
520, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Estimating time-variation in measurement error from data revisions; an application to forecasting in dynamic models," Bank of England working papers 238, Bank of England.
- Kevin Lee & Emi Mise & Kalvinder Shields & Tony Garratt, 2005.
"Real time Representations of the Output Gap,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005
26, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & van Norden, Simon, 2011. "Modeling data revisions: Measurement error and dynamics of "true" values," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 101-109, April.
- Jan Jacobs & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2007. "A real-time analysis of the Swiss trade account," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 167, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986. "News or Noise? An Analysis of GNP Revisions," NBER Working Papers 1939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.