Credit Lines: The Other Side of Corporate Liquidity
In this paper we offer the first large sample evidence on the availability and usage of credit lines in U.S. public corporations and use it to re-examine the existing findings on corporate liquidity. We show that the availability of credit lines is widespread and that average undrawn credit is of the same order of magnitude as cash holdings. We test the trade-off theory of liquidity according to which firms target an optimum level of liquidity, computed as the sum of cash and undrawn credit lines. We provide support for the existence of a liquidity target, but also show that the reasons why firms hold cash and credit lines are very different. While the precautionary motive explains well cash holdings, the optimum level of credit lines appears to be driven by the restrictions imposed by the credit line itself, in terms of stated purpose and covenants. In support to these findings, credit line drawdowns are associated with capital expenditures, acquisitions, and working capital.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2015|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajkamal Iyer & Samuel Da-Rocha-Lopes & JosÃ©-Luis PeydrÃ³ & Antoinette Schoar, 2015.
"Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007-2009 Crisis,"
687, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rajkamal Iyer & José-Luis Peydró & Samuel da-Rocha-Lopes & Antoinette Schoar, 2014. "Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007--2009 Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 27(1), pages 347-372, January.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Samuel Da-Rocha-Lopes & José-Luis Peydró & Antoinette Schoar, 2013. "Interbank liquidity crunch and the firm credit crunch: Evidence from the 2007-2009 crisis," Economics Working Papers 1365, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Boot, Arnoud & Thakor, Anjan V. & Udell, Gregory F., 1987.
"Competition, risk neutrality and loan commitments,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 449-471, September.
- Boot, A.W.A. & Thakor, A.V. & Udell, G.F., 1987. "Competition, risk neutrality and loan commitments," Research Memorandum afd7b491-7ac6-41c8-8cae-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Arnoud Boot & Anjan V. Thakor & Gregory F. Udell, 2004. "Competition, Risk Neutrality and Loan Commitments," Finance 0411051, EconWPA.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
5817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2002. "Corporate Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3499, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Dirk Hackbarth, 2011.
NBER Working Papers
16724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002.
"Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”," CRSP working papers 506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Michael L. Lemmon & Michael R. Roberts & Jaime F. Zender, 2008. "Back to the Beginning: Persistence and the Cross-Section of Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1575-1608, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.