Smoking Persistence in Europe: A Semi-Parametric Panel Data Analysis with Selectivity
We provide new cross-country evidence on smoking persistence in Europe, which can be due to both true state dependence and individual unobserved heterogeneity. We distinguish between the two by using semi-parametric panel data selection methods, applied to both the smoking participation and the cigarette consumption decision. We find that for both smoking decisions true state dependence is generally much smaller, but still important, when unobserved individual heterogeneity is accounted for. We uncover large differences in true state dependence across countries and relate them to discrepancies in regulations, social norms on and tolerance towards smoking, and awareness of its health risks.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J Halliday, 2005.
"Heterogeneity, State Dependence and Health,"
200503, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser, 2009.
"Why Do Europeans Smoke More than Americans?,"
in: Developments in the Economics of Aging, pages 255-282
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Jonathan Zinman, 2000. "Youth Smoking in the U.S.: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S.Grossman Becker & Michael Murphy & Kevin M., 1991.
"Rational Addiction and the Effect of Price on Consumption,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
68, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Becker, Gary S & Grossman, Michael & Murphy, Kevin M, 1991. "Rational Addiction and the Effect of Price on Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 237-41, May.
- Raquel Carrasco & José M. Labeaga & J. David López-Salido, 2005.
"Consumption and Habits: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 144-165, 01.
- Raquel Carrasco & José M. Labeaga & J. David López-Salido, 2002. "Consumption And Habits: Evidence From Panel Data," Economics Working Papers we023415, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Carrasco, Raquel & Labeaga Azcona, J Maria & López-Salido, J David, 2002. "Consumption and Habits: Evidence from Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3520, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2006.
"Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes,"
NBER Working Papers
12156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2007. "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 510-521, August.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, . "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E43, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- M. Dolores Collado & Martín Browning, 2006.
"Habits And Heterogeneity In Demands: A Panel Data Analysis,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2006-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- M. Dolores Collado & Martin Browning, 2007. "Habits and heterogeneity in demands: a panel data analysis," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 625-640.
- Martin Browning & M. Dolores Collado, 2004. "Habits and Heterogeneity in Demands: a Panel Data Analysis," CAM Working Papers 2004-18, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Anastasia Semykina & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2013. "Estimation of dynamic panel data models with sample selection," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 47-61, 01.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & Koleman S. Strumpf, 2000.
"The Behavioral Dynamics of Youth Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
7838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Carl Michaud & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2008.
"Fertility and Female Employment Dynamics in Europe: The Effect of Using Alternative Econometric Modeling Assumptions,"
643, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Pierre‐Carl Michaud & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2011. "Fertility and female employment dynamics in Europe: the effect of using alternative econometric modeling assumptions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(4), pages 641-668, 06.
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl & Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2008. "Fertility and Female Employment Dynamics in Europe: The Effect of Using Alternative Econometric Modeling Assumptions," IZA Discussion Papers 3853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Labeaga, Jose M., 1999. "A double-hurdle rational addiction model with heterogeneity: Estimating the demand for tobacco," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 49-72, November.
- Mroz, Thomas A., 1999. "Discrete factor approximations in simultaneous equation models: Estimating the impact of a dummy endogenous variable on a continuous outcome," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 233-274, October.
- Harris, Mark N. & Zhao, Xueyan, 2007. "A zero-inflated ordered probit model, with an application to modelling tobacco consumption," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1073-1099, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.