Multimarket spatial competition in the Colombian deposit market
This paper presents a multimarket spatial competition oligopoly model for the Colombian deposit market, in line with the New Empirical Industrial Organization (NEIO) approach. In this framework, banks use price and non-price strategies to compete in the market, which allows us to analyze the country and the regional competitiveness level. The theoretical model is applied to quarterly Colombian data that covers the period between 1996 and 2005. Our results suggest that, although the country deposit market appears to be more competitive than the Nash equilibrium, there are some local areas within the country that present evidence of market power.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Piso 7|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelini, P. & Cetorelli, N., 2000.
"Bank Competition and Regulatory Reform: The Case of the Italian Banking Industry,"
380, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Paolo Angelini, 1999. "Bank competition and regulatory reform: the case of the Italian banking industry," Working Paper Series WP-99-32, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Paolo Angelini & Nicola Cetorelli, 2000. "Bank Competition and Regulatory Reform: The Case of the Italian Banking Industry," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 380, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
- Dairo Estrada, . "Efectos de las fusiones sobre el mercado financiero colombiano," Borradores de Economia 329, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Kim, Moshe & Vale, Bent, 2001. "Non-price strategic behavior: the case of bank branches," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1583-1602, December.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Moshe Kim & Ana Lozano-Vivas & Antonio Morales, 2007. "Multistrategic Spatial Competition in Banking," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 351-366.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"A test of competition in Canadian banking,"
90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003.
"Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk,"
Research Department Publications
4353, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Micco, Alejandro, 2007. "Concentration and foreign penetration in Latin American banking sectors: Impact on competition and risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1633-1647, June.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6514, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Business School Working Papers cinco, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Yoshiro Tsutsui, 2002.
"Has Competition in the Japanese Banking Sector Improved?,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
02-09-Rev, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP), revised Sep 2003.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2005. "Has competition in the Japanese banking sector improved?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 419-439, February.
- Toolsema, Linda A., 2002. "Competition in the Dutch consumer credit market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2215-2229, November.
- Chiappori, P.A. & Perez-Castrillo, D. & Verdier, T., 1992.
"Spatial Competition in the Banking System: Localization, Cross Subsidies and the Regulation of Deposit Rates,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-15, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Perez-Castrillo, David & Verdier, Thierry, 1995. "Spatial competition in the banking system: Localization, cross subsidies and the regulation of deposit rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 889-918, May.
- Suominen, Matti, 1994. " Measuring Competition in Banking: A Two-Product Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(1), pages 95-110.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Kim, Moshe, 1994. "Oligopolistic Interdependence and the Structure of Production in Banking: An Empirical Evaluation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 309-22, May.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 1995. "Conjectural variations as a reduced form," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 397-402, October.
- Neven, Damien & Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 1999. "An aggregate structural model of competition in the European banking industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1059-1074, October.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Pita Barros, Pedro, 1999. "Multimarket competition in banking, with an example from the Portuguese market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 335-352, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.