Changes in bank specialisation: comparing foreign subsidiaries and branches in Luxembourg
Presumably, foreign banks open subsidiaries and branches in Luxembourg to perform different tasks. This paper studies the balance sheet structure of banks in Luxembourg, testing for differences across groups and across periods. Non-parametric methods yield several findings. First, specialisation and heterogeneity vary across years as well as across different market segments. Second, comparing subsidiaries and branches, estimated distributions across banks have been relatively similar for Interbank Loans but have become rather different for Interbank Deposits. For Customer Loans and Customer Deposits, the differences across groups are generally greater, especially for Customer Deposits. Third, in 2009 the financial crisis generally sharpened the differences between subsidiaries and branches for all variables considered. Fourth, long-term changes between 1995 and 2007 appeared to be (temporarily?) reversed between 2007 and 2009 by the financial crisis.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oleg Badunenko & Daniel J. Henderson & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008.
"Technological Change and Transition: Relative Contributions to Worldwide Growth During the 1990s,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 461-492, 08.
- Oleg Badunenko & Daniel J. Henderson & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Technological Change and Transition: Relative Contributions to Worldwide Growth during the 1990s," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 740, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2006.
"On Testing Equality of Distributions of Technical Efficiency Scores,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 497-522.
- Simar, Leopold & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2004. "On testing equality of distributions of technical efficiency scores," MPRA Paper 28003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcl:bclwop:bclwp067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.