Threatening to Increase Productivity
The wave of privatization in the 1980s and 1990s increased productivity of many previously state owned enterprises (SOEs). However, governments often do not have sufficient support to privatize SOEs. We provide evidence that threatening privatization and market competition (entry of new firms) can increase the productivity of SOEs, even though privatization and entry of new firms does not occur. We study productivity at Brazil's state-owned oil company Petrobras. After it lost its legal monopoly, Petrobras total factor productivity increased sharply. These large gains occurred despite the fact that Petrobras faced no immediate de facto competition. The threat of competition and privatization was sufficient to generate large productivity gains. These findings suggest that changing the competitive environment can be a powerful force for improving productivity at state-owned firms.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Fucape Working Papers Dezembro 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fucape Business School Brazilian Business Review Av. Fernando Ferrari, 1358, Boa Vista CEP 29075-505 Vitória-ES|
Phone: +55 27 4009-4408
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.fucape.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen L. Parente & Edward C. Prescott, 1997.
"Monopoly rights: a barrier to riches,"
236, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Edward C. Prescott(), 2007.
"Great depressions of the twentieth century,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, number 2007gdott.
- Roberto Ellery Jr & Mirta Bugarin & Victor Gomes & Arilton Teixeira, 2003.
"Investment and Capital Accumulation in Brazil From 1970 To 2000: a Neoclassical View,"
Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
b20, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Roberto Ellery Júnior & Mirta N. S. Bugarin & Victor Gomes & Arilton Teixeira, 2004. "Investment and Capital Accumulation in Brazil from 1970 to 2000: A Neoclassical View," Working papers - Textos para Discussao do Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia 316, Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2008.
"How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1611-1633.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2005. "How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," NBER Working Papers 11072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2004. "How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," Working Papers 04-04, NET Institute, revised Dec 2004.
- James A. Schmitz Jr., 2005.
"What Determines Productivity? Lessons from the Dramatic Recovery of the U.S. and Canadian Iron Ore Industries Following Their Early 1980s Crisis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 582-625, June.
- James A. Schmitz, 2005. "What determines productivity? lessons from the dramatic recovery of the U.S. and Canadian iron-ore industries following their early 1980s crisis," Staff Report 286, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Libecap, Gary D & Wiggins, Steven N, 1985. "The Influence of Private Contractual Failure on Regulation: The Case of Oil Field Unitization," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 690-714, August.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Mirta N.S. Bugarin & Roberto Ellery Jr & Victor Gomes & Arilton Teixeira, 2002. "The Brazilian Depression in the 1980s and 1990s," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 338, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jose E. Galdon Sanchez & James A. Schmitz, 2003.
"Competitive pressure and labor productivity: world iron ore markets in the 1980s,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 9-23.
- José E. Galdón-Sánchez & James A. Schmitz Jr., 2002. "Competitive Pressure and Labor Productivity: World Iron-Ore Markets in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1222-1235, September.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mirta N. S. Bugarin & Roberto Ellery Jr. & Victor Gomes & Arilton Teixeira, 2005. "From Miracle to Disaster: the Brazilian Economy in the Last 3 Decades," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_009, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Cole, Harold L. & Ohanian, Lee E. & Riascos, Alvaro & Schmitz, James Jr, 2005.
"Latin America in the rearview mirror,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 69-107, January.
- Harold L. Cole & Lee E. Ohanian & Alvaro Riascos & James A. Schmitz, 2004. "Latin America in the rearview mirror," Staff Report 351, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Harold L. Cole & Lee E. Ohanian & Alvaro Riascos & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 2004. "Latin America in the Rearview Mirror," NBER Working Papers 11008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garcia, Patricio & Knights, Peter F. & Tilton, John E., 2001. "Labor productivity and comparative advantage in mining:: the copper industry in Chile," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 97-105, June.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- David McKenzie & Dilip Mookherjee, 2003.
"The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 161-234, January.
- Dilip Mookherjee & David McKenzie, 2001. "The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-128, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Timothy Kehoe & Edward Prescott, 2002.
"Data Appendix to Great Depressions of the Twentieth Century,"
kehoe02, Review of Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbz:fcpwps:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriana Gasparino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.