Testing for Parameter Stability in DSGE Models. The Cases of France, Germany, Italy, and Spain
We estimate a New Keynesian DSGE model on French, German, Italian, and Spanish data. The main aim of this paper is to check for the respective sets of parameters that are stable over time, making use of the ESS procedure (”Estimate of Set of Stable parameters“) developed by Inoue and Rossi (2011). This new econometric technique allows to address the stability properties of each single parameter in a DSGE model separately. In the case of France, Germany, and Italy our results point to structural breaks after the beginning of the second stage of EMU in the mid-nineties, while the estimates for Spain show a significant break just before the start of the third stage in 1998. Specifically, there are significant changes in monetary policy behavior for France, Italy, and Spain, while monetary policy in Germany seems to be stable over time.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bgpe.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Stracca, Livio, 2008.
"The political economy under monetary union: has the euro made a difference?,"
Working Paper Series
0956, European Central Bank.
- Marcel Fratzscher & Livio Stracca, 2009. "The political economy under monetary union: has the euro made a difference?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 307-348, 04.
- Tovar, Camilo Ernesto, 2008.
"DSGE Models and Central Banks,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2008-30, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Tovar, Camilo Ernesto, 2009. "DSGE Models and Central Banks," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 3, pages 1-31.
- Fabio Milani, 2009. "Adaptive Learning and Macroeconomic Inertia in the Euro Area," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 579-599, 06.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Luis J. Alvarez & Herve Le Bihan & Giovanni Veronese & Daniel Dias & Johannes Hoffmann & Nicole Jonker & Patrick Lunnemann & Fabio Rumler & Jouko Vilmunen, 2006. "Price Changes in the Euro Area and the United States: Some Facts from Individual Consumer Price Data," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 171-192, Spring.
- Atsushi Inoue & Barbara Rossi, 2011. "Identifying the Sources of Instabilities in Macroeconomic Fluctuations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1186-1204, November.
- Alex Cukierman & Francesco Lippi, 2000.
"Labor Markets and Monetary Union; a Strategic Analysis,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
365, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 2001. "Labour Markets and Monetary Union: A Strategic Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 541-65, July.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1999. "Labor markets and Monetary Union : A Strategic Analysis," Discussion Paper 1999-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 2000. "Labor Markets and Monetary Union: a Strategic Analysis," Papers 365, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999. "Labour Markets and Monetary Union: A Strategic Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2236, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2009. "Has there been any structural convergence in the transmission of European monetary policies?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 85-101, July.
- Riccardo DiCecio & Edward Nelson, 2007.
"An estimated DSGE model for the United Kingdom,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 215-232.
- Cho, Seonghoon & Moreno, Antonio, 2006.
"A Small-Sample Study of the New-Keynesian Macro Model,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1461-1481, September.
- Seonghoon Cho & Antonio Moreno, 2005. "A Small-Sample Study of the New-Keynesian Macro Model," Faculty Working Papers 03/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2004.
"Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0287, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2010. "Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe: a comparison," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 833-868.
- Jarociński, Marek, 2008. "Responses to monetary policy shocks in the east and the west of Europe: a comparison," Working Paper Series 0970, European Central Bank.
- Marek Jarocinski, 2006. "Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks in the East and the West of Europe: A Comparison," Working Papers 124, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Benjamin Keen & Yongsheng Wang, 2007. "What is a realistic value for price adjustment costs in New Keynesian models?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(11), pages 789-793.
- Lee, Jim, 2009. "Evaluating monetary policy of the euro area with cross-country heterogeneity: Evidence from a New Keynesian model," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 325-343, December.
- van Aarle, Bas & Garretsen, Harry & van Moorsel, Cornelie, 2001. "Internal and external transmissions of monetary and fiscal policies in the EMU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 127-148, June.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2004.
"Comparing Shocks and Frictions in US and Euro Area Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raf Wouters & Frank Smets, 2005. "Comparing shocks and frictions in US and euro area business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 161-183.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2004. "Comparing shocks and frictions in US and euro area business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 0391, European Central Bank.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2004. "Comparing shocks and frictions in US and euro area business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Research 61, National Bank of Belgium.
- Burriel, Pablo & Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Rubio-Ramírez, Juan Francisco, 2009.
"MEDEA: A DSGE Model for the Spanish Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7297, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pablo Burriel & Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez, 2009. "MEDEA: A DSGE Model for the Spanish Economy," Working Papers 2009-17, FEDEA.
- Pablo Burriel & Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2009. "MEDEA: A DSGE Model for the Spanish Economy," PIER Working Paper Archive 09-017, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Neiss, Katharine & Nelson, Edward, 2001.
"The Real Interest rate Gap as an Inflation Indicator,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2848, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neiss, Katharine S. & Nelson, Edward, 2003. "The Real-Interest-Rate Gap As An Inflation Indicator," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 239-262, April.
- Katharine S. Neiss and Edward Nelson, 2001. "The Real Interest Rate Gap as an Inflation Indicator," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 145, Society for Computational Economics.
- Katharine S. Neiss & Edward Nelson, 2001. "The real interest rate gap as an inflation indicator," Bank of England working papers 130, Bank of England.
- Gregory de Walque & Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2006. "Price Shocks in General Equilibrium: Alternative Specifications," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(1), pages 153-176, March.
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2008. "The Financial Accelerator in an Estimated New Keynesian Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 155-178, January.
- Ricardo Reis, 2009. "Optimal Monetary Policy Rules in an Estimated Sticky-Information Model," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 1-28, July.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Michael Ehrmann, 2006. "The Euro and the Transmission of Monetary Policy," Chapters, in: Long-run Growth and Short-run Stabilization, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- David N. DeJong & Chetan Dave, 2007.
"Introduction to Structural Macroeconometrics
[Structural Macroeconometrics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bav:wpaper:118_jergerroehe. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rebecca Hartschen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.