India: Fiscal Condition of the States, International Experience,and Options for Reform: Volume 2
Due to the deteriorating fiscal situation of the states, the Government of India has taken several initiatives, including the creation of a Fiscal Reform Facility, which sought to provide financial-grant incentives to the states, in order to encourage a movement toward budget balance over the five year period coinciding with the implementation period of the Eleventh Finance Commission (2000-2005). The largely unsuccessful experience with the implementation of the Facility has made it necessary to explore other policy alternatives and, in particular, to examine what lessons international experience offers in managing sub-national fiscal crises and improving fiscal management of sub-national governments. The purpose of this report is to undertake that task. This report begins by reviewing the key issues responsible for the current fiscal condition of the States of India. Then, it provides an analysis of relevant international experience in this respect. Finally, it evaluates various options for reform in India suggested by lessons drawn from international experience, and it provides a set of recommendations for the consideration of Indian policy-makers.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Bird & Pierre Gendron, 1998. "Dual VATs and Cross-Border Trade: Two Problems, One Solution?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 429-442, July.
- Mariano Tommasi & Miguel Braun, 2002.
"Fiscal Rules for Subnational Governments. Some Organizing Principles and Latin American Experiences,"
44, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2002.
- Miguel Braun & Mariano Tommasi, 2004. "Fiscal Rules for Subnational Governments. Some organizing principles and Latin American experiences," Public Economics 0410004, EconWPA.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Robert McNab, 2001.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0101, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jorge Martinez-Vasquez & Jameson Boex, 2001. "Russia's Transition to a New Federalism," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15248, September.
- Roy Bahl & Eunice Heredia-Ortiz & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Mark Rider, 2005. "India: Fiscal Condition of the States, International Experience,and Options for Reform: Volume 1," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper05141, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Santiago Lago-Pe�as, 2005.
"Evolving federations and regional public deficits: testing the bailout hypothesis in the Spanish case,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(3), pages 437-453, June.
- Santiago Lago-Peñas, . "Evolving Federations and Regional Public Deficits: Testing the Bailout Hypothesis in the Spanish Case," Studies on the Spanish Economy 193, FEDEA.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521518215 is not listed on IDEAS
- Perotti, Roberto & Strauch, Rolf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1997. "Sustainability of Public Finances," CEPR Discussion Papers 1781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev & Jameson Boex, 2006. "Reforming Regional-Local Finance in Russia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6925, September.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, 1999. "Community Participation, Teacher Effort, and Educational Outcome: The Case of El Salvador's EDUCO Program," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 307, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Teresa DabÃ¡n SÃ¡nchez & Steven A. Symansky & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Enrica Detragiache & Gabriel Di Bella, 2003. "Rules-Based Fiscal Policy in France, Germany, Italy and Spain," IMF Occasional Papers 225, International Monetary Fund.
- Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 1998. "Tales of Fiscal Adjustment," Scholarly Articles 2579822, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Sawada, Yasuyuki, 1999. "Do Community-Managed Schools Work? An Evaluation of El Salvador's EDUCO Program," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(3), pages 415-41, September.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Paqueo, Vicente, 1996. "Do local contributions affect the efficiency of public primary schools?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 377-386, October.
- James M. Poterba & Jürgen von Hagen, 1999. "Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number pote99-1, October.
- JÃ¼rgen von Hagen & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Rolf Strauch, 2001. "Budgetary Consolidation in EMU," European Economy - Economic Papers 148, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna, 1998. "Tales of fiscal adjustment," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 487-545, October.
- Michael Kremer & Nazmul Chaudhury & F. Halsey Rogers & Karthik Muralidharan & Jeffrey Hammer, 2005. "Teacher Absence in India: A Snapshot," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 658-667, 04/05.
- Craig, Steven G & Inman, Robert P, 1982. "Federal Aid and Public Education: An Empirical Look at the New Fiscal Federalism," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 541-52, November.
- Shah, Anwar & Thompson, Theresa, 2004. "Implementing decentralized local governance: a treacherous road with potholes, detours, and road closures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3353, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper05142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.