A Laboratory Experiment for the Estimation of Health Risks: Policy Recommendations
Environmental health hazards in Asopos River Basin (RB) rise concerns on health risk not only for the residents of the catchment but also for the consumers of the area s products across the country. As a result, the focus of this chapter is on the estimation of theses health risks. In order to assess the social cost from consuming products produced in an area where water resources are not in good condition a lab experimental auction has been conducted. According to the details of the experiment presented at the beginning of the chapter all participants were asked to bid to exchange a product from region A (the polluted one) with a similar product from a region in a good ecological status (in the terminology of the European Water Framework Directive (WFD)), region B. After the presentation of the employed methodology econometric analysis was conducted. The output of this analysis is an average Willingness-to-Pay (WTP) for the specific sample of consumers. WTP represents the maximum amount of money a person would be willing to pay in order to receive a good or avoid an undesired impact. The chapter concludes with policy recommendations and suggests that unless an epidemiology study confirms the health hazards from consuming agricultural products cultivated in the area of Asopos (area similar to the characteristics of region A), the estimated amount is a net cost suffered by the local farmers and compensation measures have to be adopted.
|Date of creation:||06 Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Koundouri, P., and N. Papandreou (editors); M. Stithou (assistant editor), 2012. Water Resources Management Sustaining Socio-Economic Welfare: The Implementation of the European Water Framework Directive in Asopos River Basin in Greece. Spr|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 76, Patission Street, Athens 104 34|
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp, 2005.
"A meta-analysis of the willingness to pay for reductions in pesticide risk exposure,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 441-467, December.
- Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp & Raymond J. G. M. Florax, 2004. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," Working Papers 2004.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Travisi, Chiara M. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19524, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stenger, Anne, 2000. "Experimental valuation of food safety: Application to sewage sludge," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 211-218, April.
- Costa-Font, Montserrat & Gil, José M. & Traill, W. Bruce, 2008. "Consumer acceptance, valuation of and attitudes towards genetically modified food: Review and implications for food policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 99-111, April.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Jamal, Mustafa & Kurlander, Lauren & Roucan, Maud & Taulman, Lesley, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of Genetically Modified Food Valuation Studies," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), April.
- Anne Rozan & Anne Stenger & Marc Willinger, 2004. "Willingness-to-pay for food safety: An experimental investigation of quality certification on bidding behaviour," Framed Field Experiments 00197, The Field Experiments Website.
- Anne Rozan & Anne Stenger-Letheux & Marc Willinger, 2004. "Willingness-to-pay for food safety : an experimental investigation of quality certification on bidding behavior," Post-Print hal-01072925, HAL.
- Lusk,Jayson L. & Shogren,Jason F., 2007. "Experimental Auctions," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521671248, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:1316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.